Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 3 month old kitten had vaccinations between her shoulder

Hello my 3 month old kitten had vaccinations between her shoulder blades 2 weeks ago, and a marble size lump appeared today. Is this normal?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Molly
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: No

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thank you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Would you mind continuing to text?

I am very sorry to hear that Molly has a firm lump between her shoulder blades where she was vaccinated 2 weeks ago.

This is not normal, but it does happen.

Given her history of vaccines being given this may be a fibrous injection reaction.

Some cats will have an inflammatory response to a particular vaccine, pain relief, or antibiotic injection as it is seen as foreign material by the body. Most commonly we see them with Rabies vaccines or the leukemia vaccine in cats, but it occur with any vaccine, or in some cases related to a microchip. We see firm swellings, usually a few days to a few weeks after the vaccine. Usually by warm compressing them they resolve on their own over time.

If the swelling becomes larger, is painful, she runs a fever or the lump ruptures open or isn't resolving then she should see her veterinarian.

If you want to be sure that is what this lump is or the lump seems at all painful she should see her veterinarian and have this lump aspirated to look for signs of infection. If infection is present the abscess should be lanced and drained and she should be on antibiotics. If this lump looks like an inflammatory granuloma on aspiration then an anti-inflammatory can be prescribed to hasten its resolution. Very rarely these can become cancerous so if it isn't resolving it should be removed surgically.

I would call your veterinarian and let them know about her lump even if you choose to take a watchful approach. If there are several complaints about a particular vaccine perhaps there was a manufacturing problem that caused the reaction you are seeing, and the only way the manufacturer will know is if reports are made.

Does she have animal housemates she plays with? If so the other possibility is that this is not related to the vaccine, but rather related to an accidental nip or scratch that is forming an abscess. Those tend to be hot and painful though.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. That is helpful.

Glad to help, my best to your little one!