How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike McIntyre Your Own Question
Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 810
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Mike McIntyre is online now

I am concerned that putting Lilybet through an operation to

This answer was rated:

I am concerned that putting Lilybet through an operation to remove her teeth when she has been diagnosed with advanced kidney disease, would help her? Please see below the actions I have taken so far. Thank you so much for your help.
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Were you going to send more information about this case? I will be happy to review it when you can
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hello, sorry, I thought I'd sent it through. I've had a feral cat for 8 years, she is approximately 12/14 years old now. She has always been healthy but during the last week started to cough and not eat dried food.I managed to get help with a humane trap and got her to a 24 hour vet as an emergency. They had to sedate her to examine her. They found, through bloods, that she has advanced kidney disease and that she needs total dental extraction, due to abscesses and general dental disease. They have sent her home, she is on a soft diet now and they have prescribed metacam 1.5, daily to manage pain, with a recommendation to have the dental work done within the next week. They also gave her a 14 day antibiotic injection. I am concerned that putting her through an operation may cause other complications, due to her kidney disease. I would appreciate advice as to whether I should go haead with the operation, or try to manage her dental health? They advised me she has 2 'teardrop'infections on either side of her mouth.Thank you so much, I just want to do the right thing for her. I have had cats previously who have been operated on, when older, and died shortly after the operation, this is why I am so worried. Thank you.
I understand totally. One other option I might advise in 14 days get a second dosage of the Convenia. The 14 day injectable antibiotic. After 4 weeks of antibiotic therapy it would be good to reassess the oral health. I have had very good success doing this. I would want to wait to get the strength back and healthy for the kidneys and not do the full mouth extraction as of yet.
Sustained antibioc therapy really helps on these cases quite well also
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you so much, this is really helpful. Thank you.
Any other questions I can help
Answer for you about this ?
Mike McIntyre and other Cat Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Dear Dr Mile McIntyre,
Thank you so much for your help. Lilybet had her operation, is now on a kidney support soft food diet and seems, so far so, good, to be recovering well. Thank you so much for your support. Best regards, Sue.

You are more then welcome. Thank you for letting me know how things are going for her. Keep up the good work. I am sure she is appreciative of it all.