Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My cat has food intolerance, the only food he eats is rc

hi, my cat has food intolerance, the only food he eats is rc gastrointestinal. was with giardia for 2 monts, tretment on panacur only.panacur, after the last treatment not more parasits, but still had diarrhea. change the food with RC ANALLERGENIC. the ffeces improving but the cat eats only 30-35 gr dry food for 24 hours, play less, the cat meows all nigth. pleas , help. thank you

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
ok thank you

Was the giardia proved to be resolved with a repeat faecal sample? Also how long has he been on the anallergenic diet?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
on giardia 2 monts, 4 courses panacur, the antigen idexx positive many times. the stool stop now not smell, now is consistent, not watering diarrhea. on anallergenic only 5-6 days, 5-6 days mixed rc gi and rc anaellergenic
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
no blood and mucos in stool now, befor yes

We need to ideally treat until negative for giardia, if it is consistently positive this suggests reinfection either from other animals in the household, environmental contamination or the animals coat itself.

Giardia can damage the intestine lining and this can take a few months to full recover.

With regard to the anallergenic diet, if inflammatory bowel disease is suspected then we need to use the diet for 6-8 weeks as the sole diet (not other food at all) before the full benefits are seen.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
its positive for antigen but it is normal after long treatment, from anallergenic food he eats only 35 gr of days, starting loosing weight now,
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
its normal to eat 30 gr when is diet

Hmm, I would consider also getting a faecal microscopy performed to check that your cat is no longer shedding giardia.

I would also consider a blood test to check vitamin b12 as this may need to supplemented via injection

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
please last question, our ex vet adv.Adv that Giardia my be symptom of Dz rather than cause. & poor GI immunity most likely cause .please your interpreteon

In my opinion she needs to be clear of giardia before the underlying extent of any GI disease can be evaluated.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
ok thank you so mush

You're welcome