Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Morning. so over the last couple of days I have noticed my

Morning. so over the last couple of days I have noticed my cat doesn't want to jump and if she does she is struggling to do so. She is constantly meowing too
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?
Customer: Meowing all the time and can't jump properly
Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?
Customer: Her back legs I think
Assistant: OK. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: RAMUCO and she's 7
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about RAMUCO?
Customer: I don't think so she's more cuddly than usual but that's it

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response

I'm sorry to hear Ramuco is experiencing this issue.

Can I confirm she has not had this problem in the past and does not have any underlying medical issues?

The fact that she is hesitating to jump and is unable to jump fluidly is certainly of concern. There are many things that could be the cause of this. If she is an outdoor cat we would consider injuries (such as falling from a fence or being hit by a car) and cat fights at the top of the list. Of course, injuries can also occur when a cat is solely indoors; for example if they land awkwardly when jumping off a sofa or counter.

Is she limping on any of her limbs? Will she allow you to examine them to assess for any grazes on her pads, thorns in her pads, wounds, swelling or limitations in the movements of the joints? If this is too distressful for her or if she becomes aggressive, do not push her. However, if she is content for you to check her over, you may find the cause of the problem.

Another consideration, while less likely in a 7 year old, would be the beginning of arthritis. Many cats develop this joint disease as they age and I have certainly seen it in cats of her age. If she is obese or has had any previous injuries, this would increase the odds. These cats are slower and stiffer than the average feline.

The fact that she is meowing likely indicates discomfort and tells us she may well benefit from some pain relief and/or anti-inflammatory medication.

Given her two symptoms, I would recommend a trip to the vet. Many times, they can determine what is going on by simply examining the cat. On occasion, additional tests such as X-rays may be recommended.

If possible, I would have her checked today. In the mean time, do not allow her outside and stop her from jumping off furniture or using stairs, as this may exacerbate the issue.

It has been a pleasure helping you out today, and I hope that you feel I have earned a five-star rating. Please remember to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen, otherwise the website will not compensate me for my time. There is no extra charge for this (it’s included in your question fee). Even after rating, you are more than welcome to continue asking questions. Thank you, ***** *****

Thank you for the kind accept and please feel free to ask any further questions you may have.