DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs Experience. Int. Med, Emerg, Ultrasound, General Practice
20798050

My cat has very shallow breathing and after X-ray shows gas

Customer Question

My cat has very shallow breathing and after X-ray shows gas fluid around the lungs. My vet seems to think he has dip as he was exposed about 2 years ago. Could this not be something else
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Leo
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leo?
Customer: No he has been otherwise healthily he is 4 and was exposed to the virus December 2017 where we lost our kitten but he has been fine up until about 2 weeks ago he has had no other symptoms he is also part main coon
Category: Cat
Expert:  DocPaul replied 12 days ago.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I would be happy to help you

Call if you want to chat by phone, otherwise ignore requests :)

Call costs 28.00 just so you know

Phone call allows for faster and more accurate and detailed answer

Did they tap the fluid?

Other signs?

Blood tests?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Won’t drain fluids until have the test results but he has been tested before which is when we found out he had been exposed so not sure what these tests will show different he has no other symptoms except being tired due to short of breath
Expert:  DocPaul replied 12 days ago.

??

Draining the fluid will a) allow him to breathe MUCH easier and b) allow diagnosis

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She has said will depend on wether the result is negative or positive and that they will find out wether it is wet or dry form but I didn’t think it could be diagnosed apart from his shallow breathing he is fine surely he would have more symptoms this only started a couple of weeks ago
Expert:  DocPaul replied 12 days ago.

What???

The test for FIP is NOT that accurate

And he is in great danger of not being able to breathe at all

That fluid needs to be taken off and analyzed

Forget waiting for the blood test results- none of them are that accurate

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
That’s what we thought I know it’s a very difficult disease to deal with but don’t want to get a diagnosis that may not be accurate as we have lost one at 6 months they got ill after a routine castration and was told it was more than likely fip after having operation on abdomen or bowel and then died 10 days later and previous to that a 8 year old also that had a bowel issue and died 12 months after having part of bowel remove I feel we really can’t be that unlucky
Expert:  DocPaul replied 12 days ago.

I would ask vet to drain fluid and send for cytology

If wont then I would find a new vet

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
How risky is it to drain it?
Expert:  DocPaul replied 12 days ago.

Not risky

I have done it 100's pf times

And kitty will feel so much better!

Expert:  DocPaul replied 12 days ago.

Still there?