Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat will not let me sleep I've tried ignoring him but he

Hello my cat will not let me sleep I've tried ignoring him but he either jumps at me and bites me or scratches the furniture. I'm so tired I can't cope with this much longer. Any ideas will help. Many thanks
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he's 5yrs old.
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Archie?
Customer: No he's had his jabs had a chekup all's fine. The vet said get him toys because he's a indoor cat. He as lots of toys. I massage him brush him play with him yet he still behaves like this.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. I'm sorry to hear you are having this issue with Archie which sounds incredibly frustrating.
When did this all start and can you think of any triggers (new pet, house move etc)?
What happens if you simply close your bedroom door so he cannot get in?
What have you tried already I.e. when he starts misbehaving what do you do?
Has he had a recent vet check to rule out any underlying health issues or sources of hidden pain (e.g. dental disease, ear infections, blocked anal glands)?
Is he an indoor only cat?
Finally, any behavioural issues during the day?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi thankyou for your reply. We have just moved and until recently we had a ghost which did unsettle him however Archie as always been demanding but not this extent. He's seen a vet he's fine and their advice to me was that it was my fault because I've spoilt him and I'd have to put up with it.
Well that's not very useful advice!
Certainly the moving may be what has thrown him off and increased his anxiety levels. Cats thrive on routine and become quite unsettled with any change.
There are several things that we can try for little Archie.
If not already done, I would start him on some natural calming supplements such as Nutracalm or Yucalm which are given daily with food and over the course of several weeks can really help to reduce anxiety.
Similarly, I would use a plug-in adaptor called a Feliway in the room he spends most time. It releases the same chemical that their mothers would have released when breastfeeding so is incredibly calming.
We want to ensure he is tired out during the day so he wants to sleep through the night. This should include both mental and physical stimulation.
Encourage running about with laser pointers and wind up mice. Cat trees and scratching posts are also advised.
Mental stimulation can be trickier but things such as food puzzles, 'hide and seek' treat games and interactive toys are all useful.
We need to make him feel confident and routine is a big part of that. I would advise trying to keep each day the same with regarding feeding time, play times and sleep times.
As he is disrupting your sleep, my advice would be to not allow him to sleep in your room. Certainly, for the first few nights he may dislike this and meow or scratch at the door but you need to stay strong (so you can get your sleep!). Do not open the door as this will only encourage the behaviour. It's best to ignore him. Make a comfy sleeping place for him elsewhere in the home with a large, padded bed. Never offer food or attention when he interrupts sleep as this will only make the behaviour worse.
As a final thought, it may be worth consulting a feline behaviourist and having him assessed in his own environment if things do not improve with the above tips.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best , Dr Linda