Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

He is an outside nuertered male and all the hair on his back

Customer Question

He is an outside nuertered male and all the hair on his back is lumped up and matted. I cannot get near him he is ferel and just comes to eat. The problem is all over his back looks terrible. I don't know what to do for him
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: he is ferel, his name is ***** ***** he is about 5 or 6 years old I think he seems perfectly healthy otherwise but the lumps of matted hair seem to be getting worse
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jules?
Customer: it looks like at the base of his tail someone tied a rubber band round it at some point
Category: Cat
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 10 days ago.
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Can you ever take a picture of these areas? Can you touch him or is he too scared to let you touch him ?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He wont let me touch him I may be able to get a picture when I get home from work
Is he long haired or short haired ? I have lots of experience with fetal cats and will Happy to give ideas to help him
We can keep this message open for a few days No problem.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He is a short hair tabby orange cat. It started out a small area and has increased over a few months to his whole back
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
there seems to be areas of black on the top layer of some of the hair
Have you ever been able to put any flea products topical on him ?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
no flea meds he wont let me get that close
Have you ever used a live trap before ? These I have had great success with to catch cats like this to work with. We put the food in their. We can catch them. Then do what we need to. We can even take the whole live trap into the clinic for the veterinarian to work with the cat
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have a trap and a net. he runs away from both. I am trying to trap him but I wanted to know just from my description if you ever heard of what I was talking about
I have had many stray cats come into my ranch. Until they tame down I use the live trap also. If we had to go to the clinic for any abtibtioc. We now have a 14 day long injectable antibiotic that we can inject at the clinic. In the event we needed antibiotics. We have many options
I have seen many of what you are describing. It sounds like it might be a skin infection., possibly from fleas. Then the heavy hair coat is making it worse.
Live traps work great. As they wil not Hurt. Ang the cat goes in and activates it on their own. If you catch the wrong animal. Just release and try the next time
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok thanks
What if we leave this question open a few days and see if we can try to get a picture of the back. However from what you have described usually these need some type of intervention to help turn them around before they get worse
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok
We will stay in touch. Have a great day.