Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a behavioural problem with my cat, She seems

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a behavioural problem with my cat
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?
Customer: She seems extremely stressed and poos daily on my bed.
JA: What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she's 13
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Habiba?
Customer: No, I just checked her out. well, she has diarreah most of the time, sometimes really bad. But the vet couldn't find anything. She's very sensitive with her digestion I think.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have to add, that she lost her "cousin" spring last year (dissapeared). They didn't get along perfectly fine, but it was hard for her. I tried to get another cat this summer, but couldn't find an older one, so took a kitten. Sadly the first one, although it seemed, she stopped poo outside the box, the kitten was to "crazy" for me and they didn't get along.
I tried now with another kitten, sadly, she didn't stop for long with poo-ing on my bed. Or anywhere else. And I think, she's extremely stressed, but I just don't know what to do (I'm probably much help either as I'm stressed badly too).
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 11 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a ces moniges as I type my response.
just a few minutes
You say that you have a behavioural problem with Habina but the fact that she has diarrhoea most of the time would make me think otherwise. Of course, the fact that she is not using her tray or the outdoors to defecate is an issue, this is likely driven by the constant diarrhoea (especially if accompanied with discomfort, straining and a sudden urge to go).
We need to first address the diarrhoea and, if the problem persists, we can then assume it is behavioural.
You say the vet couldnt find anything wrong which is reassuring. Can I confirm that they have performed some basic tests including general blood work (assessing liver/kidney/thyroid function) and a faecal exam? If not, we need these tests done to check for common causes of diarrhoea. If normal, we would also consider some abdominal imaging such as an ultrasound to check for issues such as IBD.
At home, you can certainly try a sensitivity and/or hypoallergenic diet. She should not get any other food or treats. This trial must last 8 weeks before we know if it has been successful. Some cats are intolerant to certain foods.
Similarly, we need to ensure she has had a good quality worming treatment in the last 3 months. I recommend either Drontal plus or Panacur (neither require prescriptions).
In case of gut dysbiosis, consider a short course of prebiotics such as protexin Prokolin for 3 days.
Interestingly, for most cats the addition of a new cat and sharing resources/their home are causes of stress. Most cats are happiest when 'lone rangers ' so I would certainly not presume that the lack of companionship is contributing to stress. However, losing a close friend can certainly contribute to it. Be sure she has all of her own resources (toys, cat tree, food bowl etc). Consider using natural calming supplements in her food and perhaps a Feliway plug in to further reduce stress levels.
We also want to ensure she is not bored so should offer plenty of interactive toys, puzzle feeders, scenting games etc.
When she defecates outside the tray, do not punish her as this can increase any anxiety. Clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner to prevent re-soiling. If she is always using the same spot (your bed) do not allow her access to that room.
Its vital she is keen to use her litter tray. A one cat household should have 2 trays. Consider one toploader and one walk in one as many cats have a preference. Similarly, try different types of litter as some cats dislike certain litters. Cats are fussy critters and will only use trays that are nice and clean so do be sure to clean out trays after every use. If impractical due to your lifestyle, consider a self cleaning tray. Trays should be in quiet areas of the home with low foot traffic.
In summary, the first priority is to find out why she has diarrhoea and address the issue.
There are also environmental things that we can change and stress reducing methods to try too.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 9 days ago.

Hello, this is just Dr Linda checking in on you and Habiba. Did you see my response & what did you think? Can I be of any further help at all?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello, I thought, I've send you an answer, my appologize. There are some things, I will have to change like more cat litters and be more carefully with them, I have to agree. The vet made a blood test last time as they were a bit worried about her kidneys. But it seems all fine, thankfully. At least (even if on my bed), the poo seems to get slowly "back to normal". The kitten is in the living room, so Habiba has no other place then my bed room at the moment. And as she gets quite agressiv against the kitten, I have to keep them separate for a while. I hope, with more cat litter trays, a bit more playtime (at the moment it's mainly cuddle time), it will get better. I can only hope as I can't stop working or reduce work. I can hardly pay the food for them anyway. But thanks for your help. I hope, you get this message. I had to cancel the registration due lack of money for a longer stay. Kind regards, Beatrice
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 6 days ago.

Thank you for your response. Hopefully those changes will indeed make a difference as I appreciate it is a very unpleasant issue to have to deal with. Absolutely, keeping them separate for now is a good tactic and perhaps over time, we can try a very slow introduction. This can take many months and not all cats will tolerate others so is not always successful. It is all about patience!

Dr Linda