Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 47 years of experience.
55012488

He has been dry heaving off and on for 24hours. Other than

he has been dry heaving off and on for 24hours. Other than just now he has been eating okay (just now he was eating and suddenly heaved in mid-chew then heaved 3 more times--Never vomited. he is now under the couch hiding from me)
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Yesterday we gave him a few teaspoons of tuna and he licked the birthday cake when we were cutting it. I did get a new kitten 5 days ago and he frequently licks it and licks it boy parts.
JA: What is the kitten's name?
Customer: he keeps eating the kittens food. Gus is 2 Gus is the sick one
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gus?
Customer: he has history of constipation and held his poop x 2 days after kitten arrived. He pooped monday normal poop and I got him to poop this evening. it was normal no straining.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's reasonable to assume that the tuna and birthday cake constituted a change in his diet enough to cause gastrointestinal distress but, admittedly, his heaving while an important clinical sign, isn't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. For example, the kitten food may be too rich for him, or his heaving isn't related to his recent diet at all. I would fast him for 12 hours and return him to his regular diet rather than dose him with drugs or have his vet attend to him and perform diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. I'm hopeful that his behavior will stop as quickly as it began. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I have to leave my computer for the night but I promise to reply in the morning if need be. I'm in the Hawaii time zone.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 47 years of experience.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I spoke with his vet again today (yesterday they felt it was furball from cleaning kitten and I gave him Cat Lax to help). He continued heaving off and on all night and will be seeing vet this afternoon. Thank you for responding.