Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 47 years of experience.
55012488

My 13 year old Maine coon has been having changes in one eye

My 13 year old Maine coon has been having changes in one eye for a few years now and it has progressed to what looks like a complete covering over the eyeball.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the coon?
Customer: Mainecoon. This is a cat. I described the problem above.
Assistant: Where does the coon seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn’t appear to have any pain.
Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the coon's name?
Customer: Tigger
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tigger?
Customer: One eye is completely obscured by some sort of film and looks ulcerated.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this eye to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I will do that now

I'll watch for your next post.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
ok I have moved 5 files to dropbox. How do I share these with you?

You'll need to provide me with the link to them.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/azhs3c6ooiy3zlu/AAAS6OrPGDmhFKC8XwOBljyWa?dl=0
Here is the link. You will see the progression of discoloration of the eye to the current close up of the eye

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Excellent photos. The early photos reveal melanosis* of the pupil which strongly suggests malignant melanoma. The later photos reveal destruction of the eye due to that cancer. Tigger will need that eye removed. Regrettably, there's a good chance that the melanoma has already metastasized as this is a very aggressive cancer. I understand that you may have a difficult decision to make. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

*Melanin is the brown pigment in our and our pets' skin.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
thank you for your time. very sad.

You're quite welcome. Yes, I wish I could be more encouraging. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I had some time to look up the melanosis and I agree. This has been changing her eye for a few years now. When will I know that it is time for euthanasia? She seems to be going deaf as well. She doesnt seem to be in any pain but I certainly dont want her to suffer for my comfort. Will the eye rupture? What would you do if this was your little love?

I would consider having the final kindness performed. Aggressive cancers such as this are painful but cats can be quite stoic and mislead us in that regard.

Yes, the eye can and is likely to rupture soon.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** family will take the special time we need and then ease her pain. I really appreciate your honest and professional advise. God bless you and yours.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind words and accept.