Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My cat came in from a fight today, his inner gum/lip has

My cat came in from a fight today, his inner gum/lip has been cut open. It is swollen but not bleeding, and no blood on him either. He is a highly stressed cat, and very aggressive at the vet, so i tend to only take him if i HAVE to as they always have to sedate him. Is this something i can deal with at home, or will i have to take him to the vet?I have meloxicam and buprenorphine here at home (prescibed for cats and ser at his weight). He is 10 years old

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Would you be able to send me a photo of the affected area at all?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thats the best i can get
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Its a slice, maybe 1-1.5 inches long. No blood
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I also have noroclav - amoxicillin (previously prescribed to him) 50mg 8 day supply

Ok. Generally the mouth tends to heal quickly, so I would cover him with the antibiotics, 50mg twice daily for 7 days. You can also give the meloxicam once daily for his weight. If the area has not healed in 7 days or you notice swelling, discharge or discomfort with the area then he will need to see the vet.

I hope that helps?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Would you also recommend putting any chlorhexidine gel on the area?

If you have an oral formulation of chlorhexidine such as Stomadine or Dentisept gel then yes would could (if he will tolerate it), but that is not essential to do

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Okay. Thank you very much, i appreciate it!

You're welcome