Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Just a quick question please I have a 17 month old beautiful

Hi just a quick question please I have a 17 month old beautiful ginger boy and a sweet little kitten male also of 9 weeks they play very well together and the older cat has accepted the kitten very well..what concerns me is the older cat will bite the kitten when playing make the kitten squeal..is this ok behaviour?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: No nothing else thanks
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
Congratulations on the new kitten!
I'm glad to hear they are generally getting along well.
Certainly, normal cat/kitten play can look quite rough at times. The general rule is that if the skin is not broken, it is usually normal play. Your kitten vocalising is simply telling the older cat 'ow, too hard that time!' and he should then stop and learn.
To increase harmony in the home, ensure both kitties have their own resources and space, consider investing in a plug-in called Feliway Friends & continue to monitor their interactions while the new arrival is so young.