Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

To a vet about two cats which are brothers. I have been

To a vet about two cats which are brothers. I have been looking after them for three months, another nine months to go! They seem to have spots all over their bodies but not on their head or under their chins. They are difficult to see or photograph and they are very furry ginger cats. They have a monthly anti-flea treatment of frontline and I cannot see any fleas under their chins.
They are just over 11 years old and normally live by the seaside, I live in Enfield.
Any advice please?
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
As both cats are affected, it is far more likely that this is an infectious skin issue rather than anything else.
Infections can be parasitic, bacterial, fungal etc.
Can I confirm the cats are otherwise happy and well? No changes in weight or appetite?
Have you noticed them licking or scratching at themselves more?
I have to say, my first thought would certainly be fleas as they are the number one cause of skin disease in cats. This year we have noticed an especially high number of them; likely due to the warm summer we had.
Unfortunately Frontline is no longer as effective as it used to be and fleas are now resistant. Typically, we will need to give a strong prescription product such as Advocate or Prinovox.
Of course, this will only treat the parasites on the cats. It is essential to also treat the home- hot washing bedding, hoovering and using an anti parasite spray to kill the eggs etc
Any other cats/dogs/rabbits must also be treated.
It is rare to actually see a flea on a cat (unless they have a bad infestation) as they eat them. However, use a fine tooth comb such as a nit comb to check for flea dirt- gritty black dots that then a red colour when wet and squished on tissue paper.
Given their change in circumstance/home type, the next consideration would be an allergy to something around them, however cats tend to develop allergies before the age of 6 and it would be odd for both to be affected.
If their skin is irritated, regardless of the cause they may need some medicine to stop any itchiness and treat any secondary infections. These are typically prescribed in tablet form and can be given in food.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They certainly seem very happy, seem to own the house! The smaller one that scratch onto his neck with his back leg quite a bit but no other scratching on either of them noticed. I guess you would advise taking him to a vet. I have enquired today at pets at home but I dread the thought of having to get them in a pet carriers on my own! They certainly seem very happy, seem to own the house! The smaller one does scratch onto his neck with his back leg quite a bit but no other scratching on either of them noticed. I guess she would advise taking them to a vet. I have enquired today at pets at home but I dread the thought of having to get them in a pet carriers on my own!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your help but I feel that while I am spending £16 on a phone call I might as well put that towards a visit to the vet where they can see whats going on
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They are making no unusual noises, only meowing or purring. My neighbours think they are bony but I’m sure the smaller one has been bony for years.
Any scratching that is repetitive or noticable does tend to indicate an issue. While cats will scratch from time to time it should not be in one specific place and should not be that common.
Some kitties will lick or groom themselves instead of scratching.
Some will hide away and do it in private so we dont see!
Taking them to the vet is the only way to get a prescription product and means they can have a health check, skin check and also be weighed to ensure we are giving them the right dose of parasite treatment. If they do need anti-itch or antibiotic medicine it can be given at the same time.
If it is tricky to transport them, consider bringing them a few hours apart. I wouldn't advise they share a carrier as they will want their own space if a bit stressed.
If they dislike getting in the carrier, leave it with the lid open out and about in the house so they get used to it. Pop some treats in now and then too!
Please dont worry about any phone call requests- the website does this automatically. I am more than happy to continue chatting in this manner
Another option would be a house visit but this can be quite expensive and cats are not always as cooperative when in their own home!
The vet will be able to assess their 'body condition score' to let you know if they are underweight.
It's worth mentioning that if we do think they may have fleas, fleas carry tapeworm which can certainly cause cats to be under weight. A wormer such as Drontal or Droncit can eliminate any tapeworm and can be bought from a pet shop or online.