Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat is dry heaving, drinking water but not eating,

Customer Question

My cat is dry heaving, drinking water but not eating
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Scampers, 19
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Scampers?
Customer: that's about it
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 12 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear Scampers had not been well.
How long had this been going on for?
Does Scampers have any diagnosed medical conditions and are they currently on any medicine?
Any other symptoms such as weight loss, vomiting, runny stool, coughing?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
a few days now, no Medical conditions and no medicine a little weight loss that's about it
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 11 days ago.
when was Scampers last seen by a vet? It's important to know if they have had a general check over (assessing for dental disease, an enlarged thyroid gland, enlarged lymph nodes, abdominal masses etc) in the last few months given their age and possible weight loss.
Similarly, have they had any blood tests in the last 6 months (checking things such as liver/kidney function)?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Less then a year ago, just a bit of weight loss
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Its seems that the dry heaves happen when he is laying on his side
Okay, thanks for this.
Her presenting complaint is quite non specific as we can see a lack of appetite and dry heaving in a number of conditions. It can be linked to nausea, which can be seen in kidney disease, an overactive thyroid , certain cancers etc.
It may also be a more local issue, for example an upper respiratory tract infection or a foreign body.
Given her and age and history of possible weight loss, I would really want her checked over from nose to tail. As well as an all over exam, a general blood test would likely be indicated.
Best case scenario, she just needs some anti-inflammatories to settle down a laryngitis but we need to rule out anything more sinister.
We also want to ensure she does not become dehydrated/weak from the lack of food. Sometimes, these kitties will need syringe or tube feeding until better.
Given the fact they are associated with lying down we would also really need to assess his heart and lungs for any signs of murmurs/crackles etc
At home, you can count his resting breathing rate which should be less than 30 breaths a minute when resting or sleeping. Any more thab this indicates an issue with his oxygenation
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Right now he is upright on his stomach and seems fine, about a half hour ago he was on my bed on his side and it was happening constantly, so I got him up off the bed
This is a concern. Whether he has something stuck in his throat, there is a severe inflammation or there is an underlying issue with the heart or lungs, we would really want him checked out asap.
If you can, it would be best to contact your vet now to have him assessed. Cats can be masters at hiding any signs of being ill so behaviour like you have just mentioned is a red flag.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 10 days ago.

Good evening, this is just Dr Linda checking in to see how Scampers is doing?