Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

We have 2 neutered male cats both of them just over a year

We have 2 neutered male cats both of them just over a year old.we also have a female kitten who is 4 months old.All cats get on well with each other.The problem is one of the male cats keeps spraying everywhere since we have had the kitten.We have tried using a plug in cat rescue diffuser and a plug in felliway diffuser none of which have worked.Luckily we don’t have carpets because the flat would sink by now.we have a large balcony which the cats spend time on but no garden so they mainly stay inside.we don’t want to have to rehome the cat or the kitten but we need a solution as the problem is getting worse not better, pls help
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: mabel
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mabel?
Customer: no
Good morning! I'm very sorry to hear you are having this issue. Just a few minutes as I type my repsonse.
Congratulations on the new arrival of Mabel! Unfortunately, introducing a new kitten can be a minefield and quite often the 'settled' cats can find this change very stressful.
Consider taking a step back and re-introducing the kitten more slowly, especially if it was initially done fast. This method works well for most: https://icatcare.org/advice/introducing-a-kitten-to-your-cat/
The problem of urine marking you bring up is a very common one and we tend to see it in multi cat households more than in single cat homes as mixing cats is a naturally stressful event. This is because cats find it tricky to co-exist at times and we tend to see evidence of this in their litter habits!
For the male, it may be that he does not want to use a tray a new cat has used or he feels he needs to let her know that the territory is his. It is also possible that the spraying is just a result of general stress. Cats show subtle signs of being stressed and it can be hard to know what is going on inside their heads. Certainly, one of the number one causes of feline stress is living with another cat (even if they seem to get on, are related or have always lived together).
We first want to use an enzymatic cleaner to clean anywhere inappropriate he has sprayed, to prevent him re-marking on it.
If he is not yet neutered, now is the time as this often dramatically reduces inappropriate urination/spraying.
Ensure the environment is as low stress as possible.
For a 3 cat household we should have 1.5 trays/cat, which is 5 trays! Sounds a lot I know, but any less tends to result in issues. Trays should be kept meticulously clean. They should be spread out around the home (some high, some low) in areas or low foot traffic. Consider trying different litters as cats can have preferences.
All cats should have their own resources, space, hiding places etc.
Continue using the plug-in which, over time, may help with harmony.
If you notice any increase in the frequency of his urination, straining, increased thirst etc. it may be that he has developed a cystitis/FLUTD, urinary crystals or an infection. For some, the only sign is urinating outside of the tray. These conditions can be precipitated by a stressful event.
If the problem continues, have him checked over and his urine analysed for any abnormalities. This website has some really useful advice: https://icatcare.org/advice/feline-idiopathic-cystitis-fic/
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, Dr Linda
(Ah I see from re-reading your question that he is neutered: good!)
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you, a lot of the things we have already tried, but I will buy two more litter trays and try a different litter in them.Out of the two males he has always has a nervous disposition but is also the most affectionate cat out of the two males.I will get our vet to check him out to be on the safe side.Is it something that he may grow out of and do you think when we have the female spayed things may improve? He spends a lot of time sniffing her and chasing her around.
No worries at all.
If he is a nervous boy, you could also consider the use of some natural calming supplements in his food for a few weeks while the kitten settles in. Zylkene , Nutrcalm and Yucalm are all good options.
Absolutely we would hope that his behaviour will gradually improve as they all establish their places within the home and learn their boundaries. Fingers crossed this won't take too much longer.
Certainly, spaying her will reduce any hormonal behaviour she may be showing and may improve relations. Spaying young (5 to 6 months) also dramatically reduces the risk of mammary cancer and uterus infections so is a good move to make health-wise as well.