Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 9 week old kitten who came to me with fleas - I

I have a 9 week old kitten who came to me with fleas - I also have a 15 year old cat - who is flea free. I have used frontline on the kitten and kept her in a seperate room - I have combed her last night and found 2 live fleas - I’ve combed her gain today and found another 2 - I don’t want to keep her seperate for much longer as she is crying when we are not in that room - but I don’t want my other cat to get fleas - I need advice
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Be Be
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: No not really ok
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few moments as I type my response
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am currently not at work so can’t call
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
At work I meant
Congratulations on the new kitten!
Fleas are an incredibly frustrating issue and can be tricky to tackle. This year in particular we have seen a real surge in fleas, perhaps due to the very warm summer we had.
The first point to consider is that Frontline is no longer seen as the most effective product to treat fleas and some fleas are now resistant to it. Due to this, a stronger prescription product such as Advocate is usually recommended. As you have seen live fleas, it would be prudent to have this stronger flea treatment prescribed by a vet for her so we can get rid of them ASAP.
We need to weigh her to ensure she is >1kg and so the correct dose is applied. It should be applied where she can't lick it off and she must stay dry for 2 days after.
You can use a flea comb to remove any live/dead fleas and flea dirt.
Its critical to remember that with any flea burden 95% actually lives off the kitten I.e. in their bedding and on furniture and carpets. Because of this, the same date we treat the kitten we have to treat the environment, or the treatment is unlikely to be successful. This should consist of hot washing bedding over 60'c, hoovering the floors and using a flea spray such as Indorex or RIP fleas.
If the older cat is up to date with a flea preventative, great. If not, it is important that she too is given a strong flea treatment. I appreciate you do not think she has fleas but it may be that one or two have escaped through gaps in the door and she has a low level infestation. As it is advisable to have her up to date anyway, it would be well worth doing.
Fleas carry tapeworm so we need to ensure the kitten is up to date with worm prevention, as these can be passed on too.
As a final consideration, it's important to make any cat introductions very gradually. This website has some sound advise : https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-advice/introducing-cats%3famp
Please feel free to ignore any phone call requests; the website sends these automatically. I am happy to continue our conversation via typing.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok so I am best keeping her in another room - I was give. Frontline I think from the animal aid that I adopted the kitten from - I gave her that 2 days ago. I know I didn’t have any fleas on the house before she came
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just worry about her being in a different room - she has everything she needs in the room and I play with her regularly
Keeping her in another room will not only prevent the transmission of parasites but also of any infectious diseases she may have. Kittens can incubate these diseases and may not initially show signs. If her mother was vaccinated it is unlikely she is affected but there is always a small risk
We would want her to be vaccinated before introducing her to the other cat.
On top of this, from a socialisation point of view if we introduce them too quickly this can lead to unnecessary stress for both. Rather, the whole process should take several weeks. Initially they are kept in different rooms, then they are allowed to 'meet' behind closed doors and smell each other, then through a mesh or cage, then face to face in an open and neutral space etc. So we certainly don't want to rush things.
Do not worry about her in the room as long as she has all of her resources and her needs are being met. She will want to interact with you and other family members frequently and should have plenty of mental and physical stimulation in the form of exercise (climbing cat trees, chasing lasers), games, interactive toys, food puzzles etc.
Hi there, this is just Dr Linda checking in to ensure you received my final response and did not have any further queries?
If you were satisfied with the answer please do not forget to rate the service so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****