Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 47 years of experience.
55012488

My cat's entire neck was engorged to the point that he

My cat's entire neck was engorged to the point that he seemed to have trouble breathing. We discovered this last night. Today, he must have scratched it and it turns out it was a cyst? I've been looking at photos of other cysts on cats, but none were nearly as large as the one my cat had. The pus that came out smelled horrendous and he became drenched in it, as well as my flooring. Is this normal of a sebaceous cyst?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Francis, aged 6
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Francis?
Customer: He is mainly indoors, but occasionally sneaks out.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Rather than a cyst, you've described a bite wound abscess. These need to be widely opened by Francis' vet, flushed with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine, potentiated iodine, or Vetericyn, debrided (devitalized tissue removed), and then either left open to drain or have a drain sewn into the partially closed wound. A systemic antibiotic is prescribed for 5-7 days. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you, we're scheduling an appointment asap!

I'm pleased to hear that Francis will be attended to shortly by his vet. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Update: Francis is home and doing well! They put him on a 14 day antibiotic after flushing his wound. He was also given a new flea treatment that will work better for him.

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.