Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 9 year old male cat, sudden weight loss, took him

I have a 9 year old male cat, sudden weight loss, took him to the vets and had bloods done, said he had a problem with his liver and they’ve given him Destolit. I can’t get him to take any food with the tablet in it, he’s hardly eating, maybe just a mouthful of mince or fish. The vet said the pill had to be powdered but can I try putting it down his throat? Also what can I do to get food in him? Thank you xx
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?
Customer: He’s called indie. Xx
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Indie?
Customer: He’s be fine up until this xx
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok, thank you xx
I'm sorry to hear Indie has not been well and has been diagnosed with a liver issue.
It's worth mentioning that there are a wide range of liver conditions which can cause increased liver enzymes on a blood test. Additional blood tests (such as a bile acid stimulation test) and/or imaging such as a liver scan are often needed to determine the exact issue so we can provide the most appropriate therapy.
Destolit (ursodeoxycholic acid) can help support the liver in general and is usually given alongside other medications.
Certainly, many cats dislike the taste of Destolit. You can disguise the flavour with very strong smelling/tasting foods such as warmed up sardines or pate. Give the medicine when the cat is hungriest (before a meal). You can either give it whole or open to release the powder.
If you give it whole, you can put it directly in the mouth or use a pill popper. Pill pockets can also be useful.
The reduced appetite may be due to e.g. nausea caused by the liver condition. Many cats will benefit from anti-nausea medicine and/or appetite stimulants when unwell so ask your vet to see if prescribing these would be advised in the short term.
In the mean time, we want to offer the tastiest foods little and often. Whether it is warm roast chicken, tuna, salmon, kitten food or something else, we may need to become inventive! Hand-feeding might help and cats usually prefer their food warmed up. Adding a bit of water to create a gravy can be useful.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi, thank you. It’s a tablet that I have to split into 3. Can I give him it as a piece or does it have to be powdered? Xx
Ah I see, so his dose is only 1/3 of a tablet. There should be no reason why you cant give the 1/3 of a tablet whole. This often helps disguise the bad taste. Many vets will advise crushing into a powder as this can make it easier to mix with food, increasing the chances the cat eats it.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I’ve tried crushing it and mixing it with food but he won’t touch it and smearing it on his nose to get him to lick it off is taking too long. Thank you, I will just give him it as a whole piece and see if that helps. Xx
Yes, crushing it tends to release the bad taste so hopefully you will have more success without crushing!
And just to confirm, it is not one whole tablet we are giving, it is the third of a tablet (but left whole).
Thank you for the kind accept and please do feel free to keep me updated.