Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My kitten is having seizures, shaking, crying, pooing, he’s

My kitten is having seizures, shaking, crying, pooing, he’s had 2 today and I can’t get him to the vet! What can I do?
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
Just a few minutes as I type my response
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks so much
A true seizure (lack of consciousness, involuntary movements etc.) is a huge concern in any animal but particularly a young kitten as they are less able to regulate their temperature and sugar levels .
We would first want to rule out any toxin/poison exposure in the environment.
Next, we would wonder if there is a metabolic cause e.g. poor liver function or low blood sugar. Has the kitten been unwell in any way (e.g. diarrhoea, reduced appetite, fever)?
It could be worth contacting the breeder to find out if parents or siblings have ever had fits.
What is the reason you cannot get to the vet? If they have no appointments, if you explain this is a true emergency they will fit you in.
If you dont have transport, the vet will be able to recommend a pet taxi.
As there has been more than one seizure, this kitty really needs a vet check. They will have a blood test and may need some i.v. fluids and medicine such as anti seizure medications.
If left untreated, there is a risk the kitten may pass away from a seizure.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thankyou for your earlier response. We managed to get him to the vets and he’s had a seizure and blind in one eye, they have sent us home with diazepam and antibiotics and told us to go back next week for blood tests
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thankyou again
Oh bless him. Thank you so much for the update and I'm glad the treatment has started. Fingers crossed he has a speedy recovery. Please do feel free to keep me updated on how things go.