Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat has been vomiting since Thursday. It seemed to have

Hello. My cat has been vomiting since Thursday. It seemed to have stopped by yesterday morning but it has started again. She’s well within herself though. Initially I took her off the wet food but I have gave her some after 24hours or so as she seemed desperate for it. I would appreciate any help. Thank you very much in advance.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I’m not sure if it helps, but she’s predominantly indoor- she hasn’t been out in the garden for a couple of weeks though. The wet food she eats is felix, biscuits are purina too.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Also, not sure if she might have been feeling anxious recently. I left her overnight last Saturday- though she was checked that evening and the next morning. She is very dependent on me.A similar thing happened 4 years ago, but I thought she may have eaten a Christmas plant I had bought. I do not think she has eaten any plants this time. I never have lillies around her and rarely have flowers in the house.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
Does your cat have any medical history I should know about or are they on any medication?
What age is she?
In the days and weeks before becoming unwell was she acting as normal? And can I confirm she has not had any weight loss or other symptoms such as increased thirst or coughing?
Vomiting can have many causes including viral infections or eating something they shouldn't. Absolutely, do search the area for anything toxic such as houseplants or chemical cleaners.
As she was starved for 24 hours I would now offer food. However, cat food is likely too rich so we should give small meals little and often of boiled white chicken or white fish and rice or scrambled egg.
It is also a good idea to offer a probiotic paste such as Protexin prokolin.
Although she is mainly indoor, if not done in the last 6 months it could be a good idea to cover for any internal parasites, so to give a wormer such as Panacur.
Once the vomiting stops we can gradually reintroduce the Felix and Purina. Until then, stick to bland foods and avoid any treats/milk.
In very sensitive cats, stress can make them unwell. Consider getting a Feliway adaptor to help take the edge off. Hopefully now you are home she is feeling happier in herself.
We would expect the vomiting to stop very shortly. I would monitor closely for the development of any further symptoms.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She doesn’t have any known medical conditions. No other obvious symptoms other than vomiting. I’ve noticed her drink a bit more since the vomiting though.
She’s 9 years old.
Is it ok to use the worming medication if I’m unsure she has stopped vomiting?
This is now the forth day. At what point should I take her to the vets?
Thank you very much for your time
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She’s 9 years old.
Thank you very muchfor your time
Thank you for this information.
If she wasnt drinking more before and is only doing so now she is vomiting it is likely a normal response as she is just preventing dehydration.
Do check her gums to ensure they are moist and pink rather than dry/sticky.
The worming medicine is very safe but in case she were to vomit it back up we would advise giving it once she has had a 24 hour period of not vomiting.
If the vomiting does not resolve shortly, if she seems lethargic, if she refuses food/water or if she develops further symptoms, a vet check would be advised. Even at this point, if you are concerned it would not be the wrong thing to have her checked over this morning. However, if she is bright and active and wants to eat we could take the wait and see approach and try the new diet today.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She’s 9 years old.
Thank you very much for your time.
she
Thank you for this information. If she wasnt drinking more before and is only doing so now she is vomiting it is likely a normal response as she is just preventing dehydration. Do check her gums to ensure they are moist and pink rather than dry/sticky. The worming medicine is very safe but in case she were to vomit it back up we would advise giving it once she has had a 24 hour period of not vomiting. If the vomiting does not resolve shortly, if she seems lethargic, if she refuses food/water or if she develops further symptoms, a vet check would be advised. Even at this point, if you are concerned it would not be the wrong thing to have her checked over this morning. However, if she is bright and active and wants to eat we could take the wait and see approach and try the new diet today.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you very much indeed.
Thankfully she’s acting normally. Shouting for food, very affectionate. I will try everything you say.
Thank you very much for your time.
Not at all and please do feel free to keep me updated. All the best!