Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat is in pain when she opens her mouth, Misty and 13

Customer Question

my cat is in pain when she opens her mouth
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Misty and 13 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Misty?
Customer: only that yesterday she was cleaning herself and what appeared to be a jaw dislocation, she was in physical pain but before this she was fine
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 4 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
Im sorry to hear your cat is unwell.
Can I confirm that she has no underlying medical issues and is not on any medicine? And up until this incident had been in good health?
For a cat to dislocate or fracture their jaw they would have to undergo significant trauma e.g. a fall from a height or a road traffic accident. This is not something that would happen from grooming (unless there was an issue beforehand such as a localised bone infection or tumour).
More likely at her age, the pain is due to dental disease or perhaps an oral mass or ulcers. If she has actually dislocated her jaw she will be unable to move her mouth as normal and will be in significant discomfort.
Whatever is going on, this needs urgent investigation. This is particularly the case as she is in pain. Also, we need to ensure she can eat and drink well to avoid dehydration.
Though it is Sunday, your local vet is obliged to provide 24 hour care (which may be at your usual clinic or one nearby). I would urge you to bring her there straight away. The vet can give her an all over check, focusing on the mouth. If needed, xrays will be performed. I suspect the vet will also give some pain relief.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 3 days ago.

Hi there, this is just Dr Linda checking in to see how Misty is doing. Were you able to see my response?

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 7 hours ago.

Good afternoon, this is just Linda checking in for the final time to see how things are going with Misty. Can I be of any further assistance?