How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 24868
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

Ginge has brought a dead rat t,o the house and I know a

This answer was rated:

Ginge has brought a dead rat t,o the house and I know a neighbour bhas been putting poison down for rats.what do I look out for if the cat ha S ingested some of the poison?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the cat ate?
Customer: None of the rat had been eaten nor was there any blood on it, but the cat has had it in his mouth.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: he is about 14 years old and appears ok except for excessive licking around his mouth.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

First, I would note that if Ginge has not opened the rat and eaten its stomach contents, then risk here is minimal. Even if he did, the dose in their stomachs tends to be small as well. That said, our main worries if we did have a situation where he ingested rat poison are two fold due to their being two common chemicals use to poison rats. One of these causes neurological signs, so we'd be monitoring for sudden tremors or seizures. The other is the anticoagulant poisons (most common) and those tend to be slow onset but cause issues with blood clotting so affected animals can bleed, bruise, show trouble breathing (if they bleed into the lungs), pale gums, or distended bellies (if they bleed into the abdomen). And signs can appear days to weeks post exposure. But again since Ginge did not open the rat, he is not likely to have had any of the poison. So,I'd take it away from him but just keep an eye on him generally.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************
Afterwards, please take a moment & rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site won't credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this & rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : ) **

Dr. B. and other Cat Specialists are ready to help you