Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Ginge has brought a dead rat t,o the house and I know a

Ginge has brought a dead rat t,o the house and I know a neighbour bhas been putting poison down for rats.what do I look out for if the cat ha S ingested some of the poison?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the cat ate?
Customer: None of the rat had been eaten nor was there any blood on it, but the cat has had it in his mouth.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: he is about 14 years old and appears ok except for excessive licking around his mouth.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

First, I would note that if Ginge has not opened the rat and eaten its stomach contents, then risk here is minimal. Even if he did, the dose in their stomachs tends to be small as well. That said, our main worries if we did have a situation where he ingested rat poison are two fold due to their being two common chemicals use to poison rats. One of these causes neurological signs, so we'd be monitoring for sudden tremors or seizures. The other is the anticoagulant poisons (most common) and those tend to be slow onset but cause issues with blood clotting so affected animals can bleed, bruise, show trouble breathing (if they bleed into the lungs), pale gums, or distended bellies (if they bleed into the abdomen). And signs can appear days to weeks post exposure. But again since Ginge did not open the rat, he is not likely to have had any of the poison. So,I'd take it away from him but just keep an eye on him generally.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************
Afterwards, please take a moment & rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site won't credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this & rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : ) **