Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat keeps peeing and pooing in my. This is fairly recent

My cat keeps peeing and pooing in my hall. This is fairly recent although he has been prone to it in the past. There have been no changes in environment or his routine
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Raven, 12 years old
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: The cats name is ***** ***** he’s 12 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Raven?
Customer: No he’s otherwise healthy
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear you have this issue.
Just to confirm; no new pets or people in the home? No construction work nearby or other loud noises? And you've not changed his food or routine?
Are there other cats at home?
Any other symptoms e.g. diarrhoea, vomiting, weight loss, increased thirst?
Does he have access to the outside?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
One other cat, been together since 8 weeks. No he is a house cat and hasn’t any adverse symptoms
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there anyone there?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I give up. Thanks, ***** ***** my vet
Hello. I am here, just responding to another client! Apologies for the delay
It's good there are no other symptoms and he seems well.
Can I confirm the other cat is not showing the same signs?
With 2 cats in the home, it can be hard to keep on top of litter trays. The recommendation is that you have 1.5 trays/ cat, so 3 in this case. They must be cleaned regualrly as many cats dislike using a soiled tray and will use our home instead!
Do the trays have a lip on them or are they top loading trays? I ask this because we now know that up to 90% of 12 year old cats will have some degree of arthritis and may struggle to get into the tray. It also needs to be a nice, big tray so theh can posture with ease. Have you noticed any reluctance to jump or stiffness? This can be hard to pick up on cats as the signs are often subtle.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No he’s not showing any discomfort jumping, I change the litter trays regularly, but will take the lips off for them and see what happens. My other cat is extremely clean. Thanks for the advice
No worry at all.
If removing the lip helps it could be worth exploring his mobility further as he may welk benefit from e.g. joint supplements.
If not, consider having his urine analysed. This is because he may have a grumbling cystitis or crystals which cause him to urinate with urgency. Sometimes the straining can result in defecation.
Do also be sure to clean the soiled areas with an enzymatic cleaner to completely remove the smell. Temporarily, consider restricting access to the hall if that is the only place accidents happen.
A final thought would be possible feline dementia, although this would be less likely at his age. As well as inappropriate toileting, cags may also vocalise more, act distant and stare into space.
Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions you may have