Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My 8 month old kitten suddenly got soft stools and smelly,

my 8 month old kitten suddenly got soft stools and smelly, she stole some soft egg off my plate, could that be the reason, she is still alert and playing normally,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: elsie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elsie?
Customer: no
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better your case. Any changes in eating, drinking, urinating, or defecating? Any underlying health problems? Any medications we are on?
When did this start? Was it after eating the eggs?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
she is eating normal kitten wet food, and is drinking ok she has been twice today but its normally only once , no meds and it does seem since she ate the egg this morning, unless she found something else

The loose stools started after eating the egg?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
she hasnt eaten anything else as far as i know apart from her normal food

All indoor? Any other pets?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
apart the egg i menttioned
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
and it was the white part

The GI tract is full of bacteria, there is the normal flora and at times this flora can alternate to not the most normal flora, when this happens the stools can get loose. In this case very likely eating the egg altered the GI flora to not such normal, this is why we have all the gas and looser stools. To help with this, we can add psyllium at a rate of 1 tsp/5 kg every 12 hours to the food. Eggs in an of themselves are not a problem for the cat to eat. However it may have just altered the intestinal microflora leading to this. Psyllium is a powder form that can be sprinkled onto the food.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
no other pets and she dont go out

We can keep this message open for 5 days to give you time to assess how things are moving forward, if anything changes or you have any questions, please let me know then. Ensure we keep eating and stay well hydrated.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
thankyou

Any other questions I can answer now for you?

You are more than welcome. Please keep me updated. Have a good weekend. Dr Mike