Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My female cat is 20yrs old. Over the last two days she’s

My female cat is 20yrs old. Over the last two days she’s been using her litter tray excessively but on numerous occasions hasn’t actually urinated also she’s squatting on the rug she is eating and drinking normally
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Tia
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tia?
Customer: No she has no temperature and seems her normal elderly self
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better your case. Any changes in eating, drinking, urinating, or defecating? Any underlying health problems? Any medications we are on?
It sounds like we are trying to urinate or have the urge but no urine? Are the stools more firm also ?
Many times when a cat gets a UTI, the urine will have a very strong odor to it, or darker color, or we may see accidents in appropriate places, or painful and the urge to go more often. There can be just a bacterial cause, or there can also be crystals too. Cats can produce calcium oxalate or struvite crystals, these are microscopically sized, square or rectangle crystals. These come from a slight abnormality in the urine of some cats. When these are made, they will cut, irritate, or inflame the walls and lining of the urinary system. This can cause a secondary bacterial infection. We will want to have a urinalysis performed to asses for any crystals. If there is crystals, we will want to start on a prescription food, like Science Diet C/D to prevent the crystals and to help dissolve them too. We will also then start on appropriate antibiotics for any infection, and also pain medications/antiinflamatories as needed also.
This sounds like there may be a urinary issue occurring
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No changes in eating or drinking not on any medication defecating normal just urinating seems to be an issue and she’s 20 years old
It seems like less amount of urine at a time. Trying to urinate more and in not the right places ?
This is where it will be good to have a urinalysis performed to assess for urinary health
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thankyou Mike for your advice I will take her to my local vet tomorrow
You are more than welcome. Best of success and have a good day. Dr Mike