Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat lost a lot of fur, in clumps after stress back in

My cat lost a lot of fur, in clumps after stress back in July 19 and since continues to loose fur and it's not grown back, from tummy and hind legs, she is over grooming and is constencly being sick of now mainly water fur balls. She also seems to have a lump/ridge at the base of her tail.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: She is an indoor cat and very nervous at the best of times, but eats well (dry food) and drinks well
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: She is called Lovette, age 12
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear Lovette has this issue.
Has she ever had it before and have you tried any medicine yet?
What age is she?
Would you be able to send a clear photo of the fur loss and that lump?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I can't take photos as she is such a nervous cat and doesn't allow me to pick her up, she is 12yrs and has never been out for 11yrs due to nerves. Not given any medication other than flea & tick spot on (Bob Martin clear) once in July and again in December just in case if had brought something into the house as I walk a lot in country side
Thank you for this.
Certainly ,parasites would be top of the list. A flea allergy is by far the most common cause of overgrooming, especially in the regions you mention. We rarely see the fleas as the cats are such fastidious groomers.
However, to eradicate parasites we need a very strong product and Bob Martin's is not very effective. The first thing I would to would be to apply a prescription anti parasitic therapy such as Advocate. We also need to hot wash bedding, vacuum the home and use a flea spray to eradicate any larvae within the home as a whopping 95% of the flea burden live off the cat.
I appreciate fleas are less likely in an indoor cat, however, this is something I see all the time.
Another possible cause would be stress related over grooming. We can try to reduce stress levels by enriching the environment as best we can. This means interactive toys, playing with lasers/wind up mice, playing 'find the treat' games, using a cat tree, giving cat nip etc. If we prevent boredom, stress is far less likely. As she is an anxious cat I would also suggest a Feliway plug in and calming supplements such as Zylkene.
An allergic reaction would be an unlikely cause at her age if she bas never suffered with skin issues in the past.
If she has developed a skin infection (red or scabby areas) she will likely need some antibiotics to settle things down.
Similarly, if she has irritated and inflamed the skin she may well need some anti-itch medicine (e.g. steroids) to break the itch scratch cycle.
The lump is difficult for me to comment on without seeing a photo but may be secondary to excessive licking. You could try bathing it twice daily with either dilute hibiscrub or salty water to see if it settles. At the same time, do not allow her to lick at it; you may need to get her a pet tshirt and/or a buster collar for this.
If we settle the skin, her fur will grow back but this can take several months.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you I'll get to a vet for better parasite medication, it's the more likely cause I think
No worries at all. Be sure to treat any other cats or dogs in the home too.
Best of luck and you are more than welcome to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.