Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat is about 10 years old and has recently experienced

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My cat is about 10 years old and has recently experienced seizures. She is on medication Levetiracetam and has been for nearly two weeks. She started with a smaller dose two times a day and has increased to three times a day for the last week. The thing is they are not sure what caused the seizures in the beginning but she is not having seizures now as such. All her life she has had a twitching in her back bone off and on and used to cause her to get agitated and lick herself. Now at first on this medication she was seeing things we think and behaving oddly pawing under the door and meowing. That has now stopped but she has started again to lick herself on her back and hiding away now. When she is in her igloo she does not move her muscles and twitch but when she is brave to come out after a few minutes of her familiar surroundings in her home she starts twitching again and can't settle. I started the Zylkene last night. Today is the first day that she ventured out in the day time and jumped on her tree and then the twitching started and she has now retreated to her igloo again. We are not sure why? Thank you.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Farrah
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Farrah?
Customer: She has cardio myopathy

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Please wait as I type my response which will take about 10 minutes or so

I'm sorry to hear you;re going through this with Farrah.

Have they performed any tests to determine what caused the seizures initially? In cats over the age of six it is rarely epilepsy and tends to indicate an underlying medical issue. Considerations would include hyperthyroidism, high blood pressure, a lesion in the central nervous system such as a tumour etc. We do advise blood and urinalysis, a blood pressure check and some diagnostic imaging to determine what is going on.

Given her other symptoms (twitching, hiding, odd behaviour) I would really want to run these tests as certain medical conditions could also cause these signs.

Regardless of the cause, the anti-seizure medicine should help to prevent the seizures. Initially, many cats may be sedate and a little dizzy after starting the medicine but this often improves after a few weeks so hopefully she improve with this shortly.

You mention chronic back twitching and grooming. Have we 100% excluded a flea allergy? This can be tricky to do as you may not see any fleas/parasites but she could be reacting to a single one in the environment. These signs would be typical. Do make sure she has had a strong anti parasite therapy such as Advocate in the last 4 weeks and the home and other pets have also been treated.

Is he skin calm and unbroken? And is her fur short or sparse? We would want to ensure there is no underlying infection or allergy driving this behaviour.