Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat was fine on Friday but from Saturday is listless and

My cat was fine on Friday but from Saturday is listless and not eating very much. Her nose is cold and I have presser
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Lily and she is 12
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lily?
Customer: no.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. I'm sorry to hear Lily is unwell.
Does she have any medical issues or is she on any medicine?
Any other symptoms e.g. vomiting , runny poo, fast breathing or increased thirst?
Does she have outdoor access?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No but yesterday she was sick with a furball. I let her out and stay with her.
Thank you for this information.
Please do ignore any phone call requests. The website sends these automatically; I am more than happy to continue talking via chat.
So, no vomiting, just one furball.
No recent medical issues or medicine.
Only monitored time outside.

Any chance she has eaten something she shouldnt have e.g. a house plant, anti freeze, rat bait or human medicine? Or any recent change in her diet or new treat?

Has she had a vet check in the last year and has the vet ever mentioned dental issues?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
SHe is able to jump on my lap - she’s purring and seems okay but she doesn’t seem to have much of an appetite. She doesn’t feel hot she lets me feel her tummy which seems as usual
Ok, that is reassuring. Would she allow you to check her mouth? I mainly want to know if her gums are pink and wet
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
They seem okay from what I can see
Ok, that's good as dry gums can be a sign of dehydration and that is a big concern in older cats who are eating less.
You could try to offer some extra tasty and nutritious meals such as boiled chicken and rice or egg mixed with warm water to make a type of broth. Hopefully she eats this and stays hydrated as she starts to feel better. Eating little and often is preferred and do continue to provide fresh water.
Her symptoms of lethargy and reduced appetite are not very specific and can occur for lots of reasons including: an infection, dental disease, nausea, organ disorders e.g. kidney or liver disease, toxicity etc.
If she fails to improve shortly or continue to refuse food it would be best to have her checked from nose to tail by a vet, focusing on her mouth and teeth. Given her age, a basic blood test is likely also a good idea to asses organ function.
Fingers crossed she will improve shortly with TLC, time and some tasty food but if not then this needs looking into.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Not at all and please do feel free to keep me updated on how Lily gets on.