Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I've had her for 2 week she between 10 to12vrs she is

I've had her for 2 week she between 10 to12vrs she is spraying up my front door and it smells what can I do to stop her and what can I do to get rid of the smell
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Molly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Molly?
Customer: Not as I know of I had from cat protection
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
I'm sorry to hear you have been having this issue with Molly.
It may well be that she has an issue known as FLUTD and there is lots of further information on this useful website:https://icatcare.org/advice/feline-idiopathic-cystitis-fic/
Given she has likely had a lot of recent stress and routine change this would be top of the list but if she develops further symptoms or things fail to resolve we would need to look into the possibility of something else going on e.g. a urinary tract infection, kidney disease or bladder growth.
First of all, aim to reduce stress as much as possible. This means giving her plenty of her own space, delaying any introductions to other pets, enriching her environment with toys and puzzles, using a Feliway adaptor and perhaps starting her on some calming supplements e.g. Zylkene.
We also need to ensure her litter tray is as inviting as possible. A 1 cat household needs 2 trays and they should be cleaned frequently. Trial different types of litter as she may have a preference.
To remove the smell of urine, use an enzymatic cleanser and avoid any products containing ammonia. Hot wash anything you can and if you find she always urinates on e.g. a certain bed, close off access to that room for now.
Do not punish her when she goes as this would only heighten stress.
If you are planning on letting her out once she has settled in, you may find that the issue then resolves quickly, especially if she has been used to peeing outdoors.
How does this all sound?