Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My old cat is really badly matted and bad dandruff it’s

Hi my old cat is really badly matted and bad dandruff it’s seems to come all at once it’s all over his back I’ve been brushing him but it’s not doing anything he’s now ripping at his fur I was told to wash him baby shampoo but it’s done nothing we’ve clipped some off but I’m frightened of catching him what’s the best thing to do thank you for your help
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: Hi my old cat has got really badly matted all over his back and bad dandruff it’s seems to come on all of a sudden he’s short haired I’ve been brushing him and I’ve tried to bathe him baby shampoo but it’s not done a thing with this corona virus around us all the groomers and vets are closed what can I do next please he’s started ripping at his fur thank you
JA: There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** 11
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Smudge?
Customer: He’s got kidney disease he’s on ipakitine on his food no medication i am wondering tho if it’s got worse but I can’t take him to the vets at the moment 😔
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
There could be several causes and many cats experience this issue at this age.
Dental disease is one of the main reasons cats start grooming. Any bad breath or change in appetite?
Arthritis is also a big reason. Any stiffness , slowing down or hesitancy to jump? You might also notice reduced muscling at the back end.
Ideally we would have him examined to determine the route cause.
Some cats are badly matted so need a mild sedation to allow the vet to do a full clip. If the matting isnt told bad, you can try at home but if you are concerned you will nick him, it is best left to professionals.
Going forward, after the debate, use a terminator or similar each day to prevent mating and help him out.
Local vets are still open for emergencies so if he is distressed or the skin is red/sore/ at risk of infection then hopefully they can still help.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I’ve looked on line and seen you can put coconut oil on to loosen the mats does this work I don’t want to make things worse for him ? Thank you
While oils may help to condition fur they are not advised as cats tend to lick then off and can become unwell/ vomit.
If the fur is at the stage where it can be unmatted, a furminator brush is your best option. Do it in small sections every day, teasing the mats out.
However, if the fur is truly matted, nothing other than clipping it will help I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ok thank you
No problem at all and best of luck.