Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My cat has been hiding all day and I think he is

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My cat has been hiding all day and I think he is constipated
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Neegan and he is approx 4/5 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Neegan?
Customer: Not really hes been fine recently it's just today he has been acting differently
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I went to feed him this afternoon and he wouldn't move from where he was laid so I put the bowl next to him and he did like a small meow from the back of his throat (not a growl) he has just done a number 2 on the carpet which was very solid. He has been under the bed all day so I thought I would check under there and there was another solid stool. He his still being affectionate. He is walking very slowly and almost crouched in a way

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. You're through to Dr Chris, a Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.

Sorry to hear this. Could you tell me if he has been able to pass urine today?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I'm not sure I havent really noticed until late this afternoon as I've been at work
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He is moving very sheepishly almost like hes struggling to walk
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
But that could be me reading in to it too much

OK, any straining as if he was trying to pass urine?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Not sure so cant really answer but I do remember thinking a few times this week he had gone to the litter very often in a small amount of time
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My computer is in the same room and he was backwards and forwards but I never thought anything of it at the time

OK well the concern he is lack of urination in a cat of his age could indicate a blockage of his urethra preventing him from urinating, this could become serious and is often mistaken for constipation.

I would suggest to monitor his urination carefully over the next 13 hours. If there is no sign of urination by tomorrow morning then he must be checked urgently by your vet to rule out an obstruction. True constipation in a cat of his age is possible but not overly common.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He has had a different type of cat litter to what he normally has and only dry biscuits could that be a factor?

Yes that is possible, feeding a mainly dry diet can be a risk factor as can being overweight and stress

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okay thank you

You're welcome. Please feel free to keep me updated.

If I could just trouble you to help me by leaving me a rating using the stars at the top of the screen. It enables Just Answer to credit me for my time. Many thanks.