Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

Hii She delivered 2 days ago 1 kitten,which is quite

Hii She delivered 2 days ago 1 kitten,which is quite small,but looks healthy nd very vocal But the mother still got a massive belly,nd I'm worried about her,as might be she still had babies inside Her ears r cold,her nose is wet,means she has no temperature
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: Is there any chance that the mother didn't deliver every kitten of hers?

You're through to Dr. Edele, a vet in the UK.

I have some questions to help me best advise you.

Has the mum had kittens before?

How is mum behaving?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a 3rd time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is after me,nd leaving her box anytime when I leave the room

Is Mum having contractions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but her belly is still really big
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the mum is very lovable, purring, keep holding my hand,licking it,like she wants me to stay with her 0-24,nd become calm when I'm back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is looking after the baby,but behaving better,when I'm around

Cats can delay their labor if needed for up to 36 hours, however as it's been longer than this, it would be a good idea to have a vet check her over to have a good feel of her tummy to confirm there are more kittens within and to identify why she has delayed/not produced more kittens. The most common cause is uterine inertia (no muscle contractions to move the kittens along) which needs medication

Cats' noses can naturally be warm/cold/dry/wet so that isn't always a reliable indicator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oooo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do u think she is in trouble?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She looks okay,nd running,eating drinking well

It's possible, she's not produced a kitten in over 36 hours and unfortunately, we don't know how many there are inside.

If she is now having difficulty because her uterus is not contracting to push out the kittens they will die and start to rot inside her.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Feeding the baby
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is in trouble

Without examining her to be sure that she doesn't have any more kittens inside, I can't tell you 100%.

You have two options tonight really:

1) monitor her and keep a close eye on her to see if labor starts again or if she becomes dull/lethargic or has any vaginal discharge. If labor starts again and she's not producing a kitten rapidly then she will need to see your vet. If she shows the other signs it indicates that there's something wrong. When kittens die inside and rot without being born, the toxins produced then enter the mum's bloodstream which can rapidly kill her and she would need surgery to remove them and intensive care afterward.

2) Have her seen and examined by your vet to assess if she has more kittens inside and needs medication to help them be born.

If it's less than 36 hours since the kitten was born then it's ok to wait but you need to keep mum calm and relaxed so that she feels safe as if she keeps delaying labor the kittens can also die under those circumstances.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The kitten was born Wednesday at 01:20am

If it was Tues-Wed then it's over 36 hours.

If it was Wed-Thurs then it's been less than 24.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From Tuesday to Wednesday

My advice is that she be seen by a vet to assess if there are any more kittens inside or if she needs medication to help them be delivered.

The alternative is that you monitor her and keep a close eye on her to see if labor starts again or if she becomes dull/lethargic or has any vaginal discharge. If labor starts again and she's not producing a kitten rapidly then she will need to see your vet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright, I'll keep on eye on her tonight, nd will contact with the vet tomorrow, just incase. I don't want to lose them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u so much for your advice

You're welcome. If you have any further queries or concerns you can return to this chat window and I'll do my best to help you. You can do this even after accepting/rating the answer. I will be available until 9-10pm tonight and from 5am tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u so much

:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hii,she looks still okay,I'm worried about as I looks like she hasn't got that much milk. The baby is so small. Her belly is still big,nd soft
It may be that she is only going to have one kitten. Without an examination we don’t know, it would be better to have her examined now to be sure that everything is ok, rather than waiting and finding out she needs surgery or has a life threatening infection. You can get the kitten special milk from your vets or some pet shops but it must be for newborn kittens (not whiskas kitten milk). Cimicat is a good milk. Also, the kitten can’t digest cows milk so she needs special newborn kitten milk and a bottle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon, dr. Edele
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We lost the baby yesterday, nd the mother is in labour again,with lots of pain she delivered 1 really big,but unfortunately lifeless kitten just few mins ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she had proper contractions,but the baby was really very big.

That's unfortunate, my condolences on your loss.

Hopefully, mum is ok and doesn't have any permanent or lifethreatening damage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hii,she was quite, nd still needs my company, but she is eating nd drinking well,start to purring again,but stopped contractions, nd looks painless. She is recovering I think,but I'll take her to the vet,just incase for the future, I don't want her to get pregnant again. Thank u for your constantly help,nd advices

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear she is comfortable. Yes, it's a good idea to have her checked over and neutered.