Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Board certified feline specialist. 30 years specializing in the medical needs of cats.
31434078

My 10 month kitten eats well and is healthy. But throws up

Customer Question

My 10 month kitten eats well and is healthy. But throws up once a day. How can I stop this?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the kitten eat anything unusual?
Customer: I don't think so. Just the usual dinner, so 3 pouches of iams kitten food and some dry food split between two kittens
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Nigel and Donut. They both do this
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nigel?
Customer: He sometimes doesn't swallow his worming syringe liquid, that's about it really I'm not sure how relevant this is
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doctor 4 Cats replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Cynthia. Thank you for contacting us. I will try to help with your concerns on here. No need for a call. Please let me know when you are ready. If I don’t hear back from you right away, I will check back periodically to follow up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm ready

Great. Please give me just a minute to review what you have provided already. I’ll have a few more questions. While I’m doing that, I need to know if your cat is strictly indoors and whether there are other pets in the home. I seem to ask everyone those two questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Indoors only. Also no other pets just the two kittens

The two are same age? Both males? Neutered?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They're the same age yes. One is a boy one a girl. No neutered yet

How do you feed the wet and dry food. Iams wet kitten 3 pouches given when? And the dry food, how is that fed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have food three times a day. One sachet of wet food and a small amount of iams dry kitten food three times a day split between them. I the wet and dry in the same bowl

Which variety/flavor of wet food? When during the day does he vomit? How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wet food is iams kitten chicken in gravy. Normally in the evening or overnight. For a week

How long have you had the bag of dry food? Are there plants in the home?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had the dry food for 3 days. I thought I'd mix a bit of that in the wet food to see if it made a difference. No plants

So he has only been getting dry food for 3 days? Is that correct? Wet only before that? Always Iams kitten chicken in gravy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's right

You added dry food to the wet to see if that would stop the vomiting? And it did not, correct?

When he vomits at night, what is in it? And the female has no problems?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it didbt stop the vomiting. The female is the same as him, vomits about once a day. Nothing much just digested food nothing out of the ordinary

Have you tried discontinuing the wet food? Feed only chicken baby food for 3-5 days. After the 3-5 days, if no vomiting, then add a little dry in a dish on the side. More as a treat than a primary diet. If the vomiting stops on the baby food. Restart the Iams pouches. If it resumes, you have your answer.

Do appreciate that pet food manufacturers change the composition and ingredients of their foods based on what is available on the market. The pouches may have a coloring or additive that is not sitting well with the cats.

Try the chicken baby food trial and see if you notice a difference. It is pure chicken, no additives.

Vomiting daily can have significant health consequences. It is not normal for cats to vomit frequently, hair or no hair.

Are you there?