Dr Maria
Dr Maria, Veterinarian
Experience:  Freelance Veterinary Surgeon
107806401

I have two cats both 14yrs old and from the same litter. One

Customer Question

Hi, I have two cats both 14yrs old and from the same litter. One of them was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about 1/2 years ago and has now been treated and doing fine. The other one is now showing similar symptoms to his brother when he had it : loosing weight, still has his appetite, making more noise , still seems himself not lethargic in anyway just getting skinnier. Can it run in the family is it likely he also has it ?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Maria replied 1 year ago.

Hello, you are though Dr Maria.

There is no link to genetics and predisposition of Hyperthyroidism, it seems is more related to several factors. Because your pets have been exposed to the same environment (diet, water, etc) this could be the link.

Also 1 in 10 cats will likely get Thyroid issues so the incidence is high independently of genetics!