Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

It's my puppy, She's nearly 9 weeks old last 3 days she's

It's my puppy
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your puppy?
Customer: She's nearly 9 weeks old last 3 days she's had lose poo slightly yellow then a bit green Iv also wormed her last 3 days with panacure
JA: The Expert will know how to help your puppy. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Winnie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Winnie?
Customer: No she's absolutely fine in herself
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a puppy not a cat
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda.
Loose and coloured poo is relatively common in pups and can be due to diet change, stress, transport, infection etc
The main thing is that they continue to eat so blood sugars stay up and they do not become dehydrated or lethargic.
Do ensure her gums are pink and wet.
Its great you have provided Panacur and I would also use a probiotic anti-diarrhoea paste such as Protexin Prokolin which can be purchased online or from a pet shop.
Diet wise, we need to keep it simple. You can provide just small meals little and often of chicken and rice for 2 to 3 days and then gradually back to one type of puppy food. For now, no treats or chews as they are too rich.
If symptoms persist, we might consider a faecal analysis in case of e.g. a bacterial infection or a paraiste that is hard to eliminate such as Giardia.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have allready given her a probiotic paste. Yesterday around 6:45. I didn't give her her last feed I thought maybe give her belly a rest until this morning.
While temporary starvation works well for older dogs I do not advise it in such young pups as they can develop hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) very quickly. It is best to continue to feed them at least 4 times a day and to have water accessible.
That's great to have given a probiotic paste; you should start to see a gradual improvement soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Iam so worried but she's fine otherwise eating, drinking, weeing
Playfull. Should I give her more probiotic today? She's hasn't pooed since 5:30 yesterday
I would normally do 3 days of probiotics minimum.
Honestly, as she remains so well, we shouldnt have a reason to worry. Diarrhoea is very, very common at this age.
Some dogs experience mild constipation after a bout if diarrhoea as their gut is quite empty, so the lack of poo is likely normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I have thought maybe stress as she was from a litter of 10. And she's the last one left due to go to her new home next week. But when I was reading on different colours of diarrhea online they were worrying me. As I loast one of the pups beginning of the week but symptoms were slightly different.
I'm sorry to hear this.
It would be very unusual for a pup to pass from diarrhoea when they remain well.
However, as one pup did pass away we have to be very cautious as there is a risk or infectious diseases such as Parvovirus. It is essential you deep clean any areas the other pup was and not use any of the same things e.g. toys or bedding.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have done this the puppy that passed away had a blockage at first it was removed in vets but still carried on straining in pain and wouldn't eat she never had a fever so vets didn't think it was parvo. But it's just worrying me how this one naw has diarrhea
Ah I see, that is reassuring. In that case, while I completely understand your concern, try not to worry as the diarrhoea should clear soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. You have helped. Iam hoping next time she passes poo it's furmer...
What things should I look out for if she carries on haveing diarrhea
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She also likes to lick alot is this normal
We need to ensure she remains active/playful, does not refuse a meal and that her gums remain wet and her abdomen does not become tens or bloated.
Some licking is normal and how dogs taste and explore the world but if it is excessive this can be a sign of a nutritional deficiency / parasites / intestinal disease etc.
I would continue the probiotics and provide plenty of nutritious puppy food (and, if possible, the chicken and rice for a couple of days). You should find the behaviour improves as the stool does.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not at all and please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK will I be able 2 speak to you again?
Absolutely . This window stays open for several days.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fantastic thank you