Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat (female, 12 years old, hair) has a skin irritation

Hi, my cat (female, 12 years old, white hair) has a skin irritation just above her left shoulder. I would like to check with a vet whether it is an urgent matter to deal with.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?
Customer: Hi, my cat (female, 12 years old, white hair) has a skin irritation just above her left shoulder. I would like to check with a vet whether it is an urgent matter to deal with.
JA: Where does your cat seem to hurt?
Customer: just above her left shoulder
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: there is a hair hole above her left shoulder. I can see the skin that is irritated a bit
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Suki
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Suki?
Customer: Not really
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attached photos so you can see the skin rash on Suki
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda .
Thank you for such clear photos; she is lovely by the way.
How long has this been going on?
Is the lesion raised?
Does she rub or scratch at it?
Finally, is she generally itchy and does she groom a lot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This appeared 7 days ago and didn’t grow bigger since
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lesion is not raised and she doesnt scratch it. Yet she grooms a lot
Thank you for this information.
Do you know when she was last treated for fleas and with which product?
Does she go outside?
Finally, has she ever had any skin issues in the past such as a rodent ulcer or flea allergy reaction?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We adopted her early april. We don't have a detailed history of her health care. I know that we were supposed to follow up with 2 injections (fleas related) during the confinement but the vet couldn't do it then. I am in France at the moment and my cat is with my flatmate in London. I don't have Suki's medical record with me at the moment.
Ok sure.
There are a number of things that this could be.
It may be a eosinopholic plaque which is a type of allergic skin reaction to things such as fleas or food.
It could be a contact allergy to something she touched such as a cleaning product.
We may be dealing with an insect bite or sting e.g. spider bite.
We would also consider a growth such as a mast cell tumour.
It would be sensible to ensure she is up to date with parasite prevention and to also ensure she does not scratch at it at all.
I would bathe twice daily with cotton wool and warm salty water.
If, in a week, it is the same or bigger or if it seems infected at any stage, it is best to have her checked. The vet may well decide to take a small sample if they are concerned at all (a fine needle aspirate ).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All well-noted, I will book a vet appointment for next week when I'm back. Thank you very much for your help!
Absolutely and please do feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.