Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

Can cat heart murmur come and go? Cat is 11, all previous

Hello, can cat heart murmur come and go? Cat is 11, all previous check said no murmur. Took him to vet this morning as he did not seem well last night (back to normal this morning) and they said they hear murmur??
You’re through to Dr. Edele, a UK vet.
There are a number of factors that play a role in heart murmurs and they can develop slowly or fast which is why we advise annual check ups so we can monitor your pets heart etc. Some murmurs can come and go if they are related to another illness or injury.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet said that they heard one today, but there is no heart damage. His heart has been checked less than year ago - blood tests, x-ray as I had a cat that died from heart murmur, so I wanted to have this one checked. Vet was not concerned after all these tests, told us there is nothing of concern.
That can happen, sometimes when cats are feeling really poorly they can have a mild murmur which is related to the illness but the heart is completely fine. And with his history of having been recently checked and had bloods/xrays etc it sounds like this is the most likely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the likelihood is this can be secondary to a primary issue? They have taken bloods today, so we shall know more.
What actually happened is he came in my bedroom with a life mouse at 2am. Noise woke me up. He then "seemed" to have keeled over, I had to pick him up, put him on bed. I checked for injuries and that all 4 legs are reacting to touch. He was awake and just laying there, he lost complete interest in the mouse (unusual). He then did not act normal, not his perky self, just resting. I was with him till morning, he slept normally, normal breathing. In the morning he had breakfast and toilet as normal. What could have happened?
It would be most likely that this is secondary but having the extra test today is a good idea to be sure. Poor little dude, there are a few things that can cause those types of collapse including seizures or toxins etc. The fact that he’s back to himself this morning it’s unlikely to be toxin. As your vet examined him they will be able to give you much more information than I but if if was a seizure then it may be a once off, it could be related to blood pressure or stress sometimes. I’m glad to hear he’s back to himself this morning, and I hope you don’t have a new mouse sized roommate 😊
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mouse is a regular present this summer. Can this be caused by a virus also? As he did not have a "fit" at all. It is just all very puzzling. He is not a stressed cat, he is very very chilled out, Can blood pressure be checked by blood test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was worried about stroke or something like that
It could be an infection too yes. The blood pressure cause could be transient (similar to a severe blood rush in humans when we stand up) and he may have totally normal pressure between. It’s not directly tested by the blood test but when your vet examined him yesterday he would have felt his pulse too which helps inform about blood pressure. Luckily, pets don’t have strokes in the same way we do as humans as they tend to eat healthier etc but it’s not impossible. Because he’s back to himself today, I think it’s unlikely to have been that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** a relief. So, IF bloods come back normal, would be your treatment / advise?
I would just monitor him for now if everything is normal. If it happens again then you could consider further investigations such as an MRI but at the moment, I doubt it would give us any information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a little bit of a mystery.
Pets do love to keep us on our toes!! as he’s happy today, hopefully it’s a one off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** am unsure about the vets comments (as my vet is not in), can I run the results pass you one we receive them?
of course. That’s no problem at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you , very kind
You’re welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heart blood tests normal, other blood tests like kidney, liver etc all normal
That’s really good to hear. We may never know why it happened but I’m glad to hear everything is normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you once again

You're welcome. Have a lovely day and I hope Hercule is feeling well again today :).