Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My cat is limping badly on front left leg and his mood is

Hi, my cat is limping badly on front left leg and his mood is low. Vets can’t find any pain in his leg, so given anti biotics. He is getting worse.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: The first sign was 2 months ago when he was sick (mostly furball) and fell over at the same time. Then he started to stand at the door meowing when the door was open (a bit disorientated).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is on his 3rd week of antibiotics. Vets don’t know what is wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Travis is 14. He is eating okay.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. You're through to Dr Chris, a Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Chris.

Sorry to hear this. Has an xray of the leg been suggested? Do there seem to be any neurological deficits with the leg (stumbling, dragging, lack of use etc?)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No X-ray, they said they think it is possibly spinal tumour with there being no pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is stumbling
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is struggling to walk on it as though he doesn’t have much control. But he can lift the leg if laying down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’m trying to send video but doesn’t seem to work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here he is now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has become a lot worse since the video.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Happy to call if you can help with diagnosis. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vets said they don’t think it’s worth investing with texting etc because of his age. I’m hopeful though and wanted to see if it maybe something else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Testing

I would recommend an xray initially to help rule out bone changes such as arthritis, however I would worry about either a brachial plexus lesion or a nerve root tumour - an Mri would be needed to diagnose this, so referral to a veterinary neurologist would be the next step if an xray was negative.

Please let me know if you need help locating a referal centre near you, or if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** your feedback. They recommended a referral. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I just ask. With any of the diagnosis, with him being 14, is the treatment worth putting him through it? My vets said they didn’t think so.

There would be very limited treatment options for a nerve tumour, but increased pain relief (an anti inflammatory and gabapentin for example),would be indicated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you.

You're welcome