Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My cat is very jumpy to any small noise last couple of days,

Hi, my cat is very jumpy to any small noise last couple of days, could have something spooked him outside?

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a veterinarian with more than 25 years of experience. I'm here to help you with your question about your cat being so jumpy. I'm sorry this is happening and has you worried, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may ignore any automated prompts for a phone call, or if you like, I can be available for that as well.

Yes, you are absolutely right. When a cat goes through something that really startles or alarms it, it can remain jumpy for several days thereafter.

Also, being jumpy in response to noises is not a sign of any specific type of illness or anything else.

Therefore, when this happens, the most common explanation is that something spooked the cat.

As long as he's eating, drinking, going to the bathroom okay and is otherwise not showing signs of illness, it's okay to simply give this time.

Does this help to answer your question for now? I want to be as helpful as possible.

-Dr. Jo

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there anything i can do to make him feel better? I feel that he is fed up with me following him round tge the house

Yes... good question.

The most important thing you can do to help him get over this as quickly as possible is to maintain your routines. Carry on as if nothing is different, and he'll calm down as quickly as he can.

He'll find a lot of comfort in things being the same and as predictable as possible. I'd expect him to be back to normal within a week.

Sound like a plan?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Perfect. I will try just that. Thank you.
Whilst you have been so prompt with your help, may I also ask if its normal for him to sometimes snore? He has been doing that for many months, not whilest at the vets of course

You're welcome.

Yes... good question. Snoring from time to time is very normal, just like it is for people. It's more common in cats who are chubbier. We generally only pursue snoring when it's getting severe or accompanied by other symptoms.

I'm glad I could be helpful. If that's it for now and you're ready to leave the chat, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS. Your rating is how I receive credit for our chat today. Thank you for using JustAnswer.
-Dr. Jo