Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

He has a bad tummy, Ragdoll cat, He has a bad tummy, he did

He has a bad tummy
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Ragdoll cat
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: He has a bad tummy, he did a but scoot
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: Tummy
JA: OK. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Jam jam, 1
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Jam jam
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: The UK has had a heatwave
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have given him pro kolin
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It's been hot, his first ever hot summer. I gave him frozen watered down fish brine - first experience of ice and fish brine
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
His litter tray has been very runny and he just doesnt seem himself
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (SQ5M1T6)

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Please fine us an answer
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda. I do apologise for the delay. He is beautiful!
How long had he been unwell?
Is he having vomiting or diarrhoea?
Is he still eating and drinking?
Does he go outside?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Inside cat, diarrhoea since friday. Eating plenty, I havent seen him drink
Ok thank you.
It is very reassuring he is still eating as normal. I presume he eats wet food? If so, the lack of drinking is not a big concern.
Are his gums pink and wet and is he still acting as normal?
Any change in diet or new treat?
Any access to toxins such as houseplants , cleaning products, human medicine etc?
When was he last dewormed?The butt scooting is likely due to the irritation.
Please ignore any phone call requests as the website sends these automatically. I am happy to continue talking via text.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
a mixture of wet and dry food. On Friday I gave him frozen watered down fish brine for the first time to help with the heat, but no toxins in the house. Pinj gums, but he is lethargic, usually he is very chatty and playful, I had to wash his bum yesterday as there was a hard bit of poop stuck in the fluff so maybe he is cleaning less because he is feeling unwell. He has only peed today so I'm just watching him. I think it's the mixture of firsts so I dont know the source.
I am still typing a reply but wont be much longer
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I think he was de wormed in the last year? He was born June 23rd last year and came de wormed
Thank you for such a detailed repsonse, that's really helpful.
As long as his gums are wet to the touch we don't need to worry about hydration levels and because he is eating, his blood sugar should be ok too.
He may well be sensitive to the fish or to the very hot weather we have had (even indoor cats have been affected this time!).
It's a relief there are no toxins, which makes a simple gastroenteritis more likely.
I suspect his behaviour is due to not feeling quite right and the heat. Absolutely, reduced grooming can be normal in these circumstances.
Continue to monitor closely and to help with his grooming.
I would offer cooked chicken and rice little and often to settle his tummy.
I would also give a probiotic anti-diarrhoea paste such as Protexin Prokolin for 3 days.
Finally, I would ensure he is up to date with a wormer such as Panacur as even indoor only cats need this every 6 months or so as we can introduce parasites from outside.
You should find he improves daily and is soon back to normal.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks, I've been giving him prokolin so will just continue and hope he perks up!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ragdolls and their sensitive tummies!
That's great. Absolutely, they are more sensitive than the average cat and many are fussy with food too which doenst help!
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian MVB MRCVS