Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

Swollen Eye and bleeding, Past eye issues

Swollen Eye and bleeding
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: Past eye issues
This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 20 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case. Have there been any changes in eating, drinking, urinating, or defecating? Any underlying health problems? Any medications currently on?The system will automatically offer an option for a phone call. It is just sent out automatically. However, if you wish to keep typing. We can message all here.I am here to provide relevant information and assistance. This discussion will be limited by lack of a physical examination.If you can send pictures to review it will be most helpful.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hiya, I would like to first note that this is about a kitten who has been having problem with seeing since birth.My cat seems to be eating, drinking and urinating fine. The momma cat also has no underlying health problems so the kitten is most likely not having any from my personal knowledge. Nor is the kitten on any medication.I hope this helps.

Cutey)) Are the eyes stuck shut at times? Much discharge from the eyes? How long has this been going on for?

Does the surface of the eyes seem to be white or thickened?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Uh..3.. 4 weeks now..? Otter has been the only one who’s eyes never shut... they’re also 6 weeks old- but that’s cool..
The past 2 week we’ve actually started cleaning them out.. even then it’s been about 4-5 times we have..
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
not that I can see really
Here is some information for the eyes.
For ocular issues there is a topical eye ointment called Vetericyn Opthalmic Gel, It is over the counter. It can be found online or at some pet stores. It can be used 3 times a day to help with eye issues and some irritation to the eye. Additionally flushing the eye with Vetericyn Eye flush (if not available can look for human flush also) will help to remove buildup of debris that may accumulate. It is most helpful to keep the eyes clean and free of material buildup.
If the eye condition persists, worsens or does not resolve. Then will best to have seen at a clinic for an examination.

If the eyes do get worse, then being seen at a clinic for prescription medications, potentially antibiotic and antiiflammatory/steroid eye ointment will be most beneficial too.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you so much, is there anything else you would suggest to make sure it's not the same for the other kittens?Rather be safe that sorry, yanno?

HOw many kittens are there, how are there eyes?

At times ocular issues also can be from viral infections too, like feline herpes too. By keeping them current on the feline distemper vaccine it can help with that also.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
3 out of the 4 seem to have eyes that will glue shut, but only two of them seem to have more issues after we clean them
In these cases the topical eye antibiotics are most helpful, one to ask your veterinarian about has neomycin/polymixyn b and decamethasone in it. Two antibiotics and a steroid. It is very effective to help the eyes and to reduce pain and inflammation.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Again, thank you so much!Anything I should look out for that are signs of something serious or them getting more ill?
Most important is to ensure keeps eating and drinking well. We can keep this message open for some days. If more questions arise.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you again! Yer a life-saver!!
Thank you for the kind words. You are more than welcome. Please keep me updated and have a good day. Dr Mike.