Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Board certified feline specialist. 30 years specializing in the medical needs of cats.
31434078

My cat is 16 years old. She has suddenly lost a lot of

My cat is 16 years old. She has suddenly lost a lot of weight, however she is still eating a lot and asking for food. She drinks a lot as well. Blood tests have come back normal. So have urine tests, only mentioned a bit diluted.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Dottie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dottie?
Customer: No conditions. but other things I have noticed: her stomach rumbles very loudly (something that didn’t happen before). She is not giving herself a bath anymore...which I find odd

This is Dr. Cynthia. Thank you for contacting us. I will try to help with your concerns on here. The system will automatically offer an option for a phone call. It is just sent out automatically. I cannot do phone calls. If you'd like to continue with this chat please let me know when you are ready. If I do not hear back from you right away, I will check back periodically to follow up.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi. Yes. Happy to do here via chat

Great. Please give me just a minute to review what you have provided already. I’ll have a few more questions. While I’m doing that, I need to know if your cat is strictly indoors and whether there are other pets in the home. I seem to ask everyone those two questions.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She goes outside a few times during the day to the back yard. And she is the only pet at home

When you say her blood work was normal, do you have a copy?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
They have not provided me with a copy yet. They did say (verbally) that the blood work was absolutely fine. The vet thought it was going to be a thyroid condition, but that was all fine

An aged cat that is not only eating well, but ravenously, and still losing weight would be hyperthyroid until all tests have been exhausted. A simple T4 is not sufficient. I assume they did a "free T4" also? Free not being what it cost, but the name of the test. A thyroid nodule would also be palpable.

After that, in order: diabetes, EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency). intestinal malabsorption. The latter two should have diarrhea or other GI signs.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Sorry. They did not tell me exactly the name of the test. They were not able to examine her much because she is less than friendly to vets. She gets very very stressed

I understand.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
They did say there was something in the blood test that showed that she was very stressed. But we believe that was due to the trip to the clinic
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
One other thing and may not be relevant... I have noticed lately that sometimes she moves her head as if she cannot control it for a few seconds. Then it stops. As if she had Parkinson’s which I know is not possible in cats

Uncooperative or not, she needs additional tests for the things I mentioned. Is (was) she a normal weight cat, or a little overweight to start?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She is a big cat. She has always been slightly over weight. But now she is all bones. You can feel her spine fully when petting her

Mobilizing fat for energy is also dangerous in cats. Another reason to identify a cause and get it corrected. The thyroid is truly a "master gland". Excess thyroid hormone stimulates all systems, including the nervous system. Many hyperthyroid cats will just wander through the home howling at nothing, or up all night pacing the house.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok. She does not do the pacing or howling. Is it possible that the blood work was not correct or full ?

It would be unlikely to do a Free T4 on a routine panel. Ask for it to be done if it wasn't. Your vet can also give you 100 mg Gabapentin to be given one hour before her visit mixed in food. It will make her much easier to deal with at the vet.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
that will not be dangerous to her if she has any conditions?

No.

It is less dangerous than wrestling with her at 16 years old.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I will speak to them tomorrow and ask for them about the Free T4. Not so easy to manage all this with social distancing as I am not allowed inside the clinic. I am in the UK

I understand.

Hope this helped. If so please <rate> this answer so that we will be here to answer other questions like yours. Thank you so much, and kind regards!

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you !
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi. I received the results of the tests by mail. Next to T4 it says 36 19-62