Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with further qualifications in Animal Behaviour. Knowledgable on cat diseases, behaviour and health.
65104486

My 12 year old cat has recently started drinking a lot he

hi my 12 year old cat has recently started drinking a lot he cries at the water and he howls all night ,during the day he settles down
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?
Customer: ben
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ben?
Customer: he doesnt groom himself much anymore,he is eating as usual and not demanding more food,i feed him in the morning and he settles down for the day gets up to drink and use cat litter but no crying ,i feed him before bed and within 5 minutes of us going to bed he starts crying this goes on most of the night,i do hear him drinking in the night too

I am Dr Luke and I'm here to assist you today. I cannot currently take phone calls.

Has Ben been vomiting at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
rather type thanks

Ok.

How long has the crying at night been going?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 6 weeks

Ok.

Crying at night in older cats can have many causes:

• Sometimes it can be related to a medical problem such as high blood pressure, kidney disease or an over active thyroid.
  • Sometimes it can be related to cognitive decline/cat alzeihmers.

I would recommend trying to leave a light on at night and feeding a small of grated cheese just before bed to help with sleep.

If this does not work then you will need to get Ben examined by your vet. They will likely measure his blood pressure and also take bloods tests.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i have tried leaving a light on and even slet downstairs with him for the last 3 nights but he still cries all night ,i will try the grated cheese and get him seen by the vet ,thank you

You're welcome

--------------------------------------------------

You're not required to accept until your question is satisfied, but if you accept now for all my help thus far, I can continue to assist you and it won't close the page. Bonuses are always appreciated too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the vet comes to my house will he be able to do the necessary tests or do i need to leave ben at the surgery ?

That depends a little on your cat and if the vet is able to take blood tests from Ben at your house. The mobile vet would also need to have a blood pressure machine with them so check with them first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
great thanks you for all your help i will contact my vet

You're welcome. Have a good night