Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I've recently been given a cat and she's lovly but last week

Customer Question

Hi I've recently been given a cat and she's lovly but last week she started getting little bumps but there are no flieas and now what ever it is there spreading I don't know what it is they look like scabs.. Please help.. Sarah Tomlinson
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Hername is ***** *****'m not sure how old she is she's only been with me for a month but she's young as she is quite small. I had a cat under pdsa a few years ago called blue she got to 20.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Chester
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chester?
Customer: No. Its just these wierd scabs all over
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 8 days ago.

Hi there, this is Dr Linda

I'm sorry to hear she has got this issue.

Has she been scratching or licking herself?

Does she go outside?

Would you be able to send a photo of the affected skin?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
she does go outside and she scratches it it's really bothering her its difficult take a picture because you can't see it only if I pick it and I can't work out what is is its bad on her back near her trail

Please ignore any phone call requests as the website sends these automatically. I am happy to talk via typing.

Don't worry about the photo.

Just a few minutes as I type my full reply.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
VHS is it a mite or something it's definitely not fleas
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I can't really afford £16.00 phonecalls I am on benefits

Small scabs that are itchy are usually a feature of a skin condition called 'military dermatitis'. While there are a few potential causes (including mites, bacterial infections and allergies) the most common cause by far would be a flea allergy reaction.

In my experience, about 95% of cats I see with this condition who are itchy will have a flea allergy.

It is actually very difficult to rule out fleas as we often don't see any because the cat grooms them off. A cat who goes outdoors will be exposed to fleas and one may simply jump on, bite and jump off, causing the reaction she is experiencing.

It is vital she is up to date with a strong parasite prevention that covers against fleas, mites and lice such as Advocate. Owners commonly use parasite prevention bought from supermarkets that are simply not strong enough to eliminate all external parasites.

At the same time, use a strong anti parasite spray in all the rooms to eliminate any eggs/larvae etc. Indorex is a good one.

Any other cats or dogs must also be treated.

As well as this, we must stop the itch scratch cycle and this is best done by getting some prescription anti itch medicine such as corticosteroids from the vet.

If there is any sign of a skin infection (red skin, ooze, bad smell), antibiotics will also be needed.

If we rule out parasites and the issue persists, we need to look for another cause as mentioned above. This can be trickier but can include things like hypoallergenic food trials, strong antibiotic courses etc. At this point it is usually worth running some tests such as a skin pluck and culture.

However, the vast majority of cats react very favourable to an anti parasite treatment and some anti itch medicine.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What is the medicine called

The anti itch medicine? We typically prescribe corticosteroids called Prednisone or give an injection called Dexamethasone.

The antibiotics would typically be Penicillin based e.g. Noroclav or Synulox.

Is this all ok? Did you have any further questions?
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 7 days ago.
Good morning, it's just Dr Linda here as this question is still marked as open.
Was there anything further I could help with?