Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My sweet little 12yr old cat has renal problemds according

my sweet little 12yr old cat has renal problemds according to the vet here and has half an amodip once a day. She doesnt eat much anyway and now she has been sick a few timesl Could it be the amodip please
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Smokey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Smokey?
Customer: I found her from Raystede centre for unwantedn animals and she has always been very nervous but I have had her for 6 years and she is my little shadow. She came with aslightly slanted mouth which Raysteade said was becaus she was bullied by othercats in the house she came from and had teeth missing. She has alwys been looked after and loves to be here but cant stand other people or the phone or telvision and rushed upstairs to hide. SDhe has alwAYS eaten alittle and mostly finishes it.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda
Just a few minutes as I type my reply.
Please ignore any phone call suggestions, I am happy to continue talking via typing.
I'm so very sorry to hear about your cat being unwell. Sadly, chronix kidney failure is a common condition in older cats and it can impair their quality of life. While there is no cure, there is lots we can do to help ease their symptoms prolong their time with us.
Amodip (amlodopine) is given to reduce high blood pressure and prevent issues such as blood clots and retinal detachment. It is safe to give to cats with renal problems. It is generally well tolerated though side effects can include lethargy or a reduced appetite. Nausea and vomiting are NOT listed side effects.
It is more likely that the vomiting is a direct result of the kidney disease. As the disease progresses, cats tend to lose weight and become thirstier and many experience nausea, a reduced appetite and lethargy.
You may wish to discuss the use of anti nausea medicine and appetite stimulants with your vet as these can prove very useful.
It is also recommended to start on a renal diet such as Hills K/D but it is not very tasty so if she will not eat that, it is just important that she eats something (warm wet cat food, chicken, scrambled egg and pilchards are good things to try).
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
thank you and five stars with gratitude
Not a problem and I really hope she starts to feel better soon
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Iam very grateful for your help. Smokey has been sick again but very little but she did this on an empty tum too. I thinkI must justsee how she is in thenext 24 hours. I have ordered some Hill renal wetfood and she already has their dry food which is the only one she eats (when she eats)
Ok, sure. Hopefully the wet food is a hit.