Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 12 year old cat has recently been diagnosed with

Hi, my 12 year old cat has recently been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. He is prescribed methiamazole transdermal gel (2.5mg BD). He is eating and putting on weight slowly but has no energy. Please can i ask if you have any other recommendations to get him back to optimal health? Also, what your thoughts on radio therapy with iodine please ?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Kenny
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kenny?
Customer: He is a rescue cat, so had a hard life before we got him. Has some form of congenital brain disorder - sorry this was all the info we were given, thanks

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear of your cat's recent diagnosis and appreciate that it can be a lot to take in.

I am a big fan of the transdermal gel and find cats tolerate it a lot better than tablets. In my experience it works very well. We should not usually notice lethargy as a side effect so I would want to rule out another issue. For example, it may be that the dose is too high and the thyroid glands are being over suppressed. It could also be that treating the thyroid disease has unmasked underlying kidney disease (a known risk). Typically, after 2-3 weeks of the treatment starting we should check the thyroid hormone level as well as run a general panel assessing liver and kidney function as well as a red blood cell count. This way we can see how well Kenny is responding to the medicine and if the protocol needs adjusting.

It is certainly reassuring that he is now putting on weight.

My opinion on the iodine therapy is that it is fantastic. It can work brilliantly and offer a solution to daily medication and frequent reviews. The downsides are that it is very expensive and it means the cat has to stay in the clinic for some time after. The patient needs to be amenable to nursing and some cats are too nervous/naughty to make good patients.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you very much. I'll think about iodine therapy but dont want to put him through too much. He gets very stressed just going to the vets for blood tests etc, especially now as i cant go in with him.
Thanks again
I completely understand. As I say , many of my clients are managed on either the cream, tablets or oral liquid for manh years and do very well so it is not always necessary to pursue either the radiation or surgical options.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks again, great to get another perspective
Happy to help and please feel free to keep me updated.