Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I know it’s late at night, plz can you help me!!! My cat

Hi! I know it’s late at night, plz can you help me!!! My cat accidentally licked quite a lot of hand cream. The amount you would put on your hand. She has been having the action of vomiting but couldn’t vomit anything out. It’s been 3hours since she had licked that hand cream. She looks very tired and not very active right now. Is there anything I can do to help her?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: She has been vomiting six times in two weeks and it’s all indigested food. She is a rag doll and had previous vomiting problems. She is really skinny as well. I am really worried about her.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She is a Ragdoll and she is really skinny. She had previous vomiting issues. In the last two weeks she has vomited six times and they were indigested food. I am really worried about her. Please can you help me!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She is two years old and a female cat who is sterilised at one year old.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am unable to make phone calls, so if that is what you want, I will have to allow another expert who can make calls to take over. Any phone call request from my end comes from the website and not myself. Vets are prohibited by state board regulations from writing prescriptions based solely on online conversations. We can only give general information and possibilities on what might be going on or what tests might need to run to get a diagnosis. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take 5-10 minutes to type out a full response, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. I may not respond back to other posts until I am finished writing my response. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What was the name of the hand cream, or do you know the ingredients?

How often has she vomited since licking the hand cream?

I wasn't sure if I was going to hear back from you or not, so I wanted to give you some information before I log off for the next hour. In most cases, these hand creams are not going to be toxic, but it really depends on the ingredients. If ingested in larger amounts, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea and lack of appetite. I have read of a few cases where they developed fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema). I am not sure exactly what was in those lotions. Some essential oils can be very toxic to cats. Judging on what you are describing, though, I would highly recommend getting her seen by a vet tonight to make sure there is nothing more serious than an upset stomach. At the very least, they can give her something strong to stop the vomiting and give some fluids for dehydration perk her up. There is nothing you can give for vomiting at home that would be considered safe and effective. The other chronic vomiting and weight issues may be more related to an underlying pancreatitis, liver problem or inflammatory bowel disease. Some cats can have two or all three issues at the same time. She needs full blood work, but I would highly recommend running a gastroitnestinal blood panel that will look closer at pancreatic issues and potential inflammatory bowel disease. I would also run a fecal exam on her and check her leukemia and feline AIDs status if not already done. She may need an ultrasound or biopsy to get the full picture on what is going on, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your questions answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. VETS CANNOT WRITE PRESCRIPTIONS BASED ON ONLINE CONVERSATIONS. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to national and state regulations. You should always follow up with your vet. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If you are satisfied with my answer, please give me a rating to let me know how I did.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am sorry!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have been replying you through text instead of using the website!

Yes. It may be working that well. Read over my response. Let me know if you have any other questions. It may take me 10-15 minutes to respond, but I will get back to you.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
These are the ingredients that contained by the hand cream
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Aqua (Water), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Cera Alba, Polyglyceryl-3 Polyricinoleate, Glycerin, Sesamum Indicum (Sesam) Seed Oil, Hexyldecanol, Hexyldecyl Laurate, Cetyl Ricinoleate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Magnesium Sulfate, Sorbitan Olivate, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Water, Magnesium Stearate, Benzyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Caprate, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis Peel Oil, Cinnamomum Camphora Leaf Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Dehydroacetic Acid, Tocopherol, Leptospermum Scoparium Branch/Leaf Oil, Melaleuca Quinquenervia Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Oil, Aluminum Tristearate, Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Cymbopogon Winterianus Herb Oil, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Limonene, Linalool, Geraniol, Citral, Citronellol.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She just had a little bit of food just now. If I am taking her to the vets right now, is there any recommendations for vets right now? I am currently in London.
I wouldn't consider anything in there has high toxicity but there can still be a lot of gastrointestinal upset that can cause more illnesses if not attended to by a vet.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is there any vets that’s open right now in London? Because I have absolute no idea!
Sorry, I am not sure. I live in Texas. Can you do an Internet search for emergency vets in London?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sure! I will do that immediately! Thank you very much for your help! It has been really helpful!

You are very welcome