Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with further qualifications in Animal Behaviour. Knowledgable on cat diseases, behaviour and health.
65104486

I'm worrying would it be possible if my cat had heart

HiSo I'm worrying would it be possible if my cat had heart disease and had to have fluid drained from her lungs. If she caught giardia after this would this cause the lungs to refill with fluid?

I am Dr Luke and I'm here to assist you today. I cannot currently take phone calls.

I’m sorry to hear about your cat. I know that can be a worry when they have heart disease.

In short, giardia in cats causes diarrhea and sometimes vomiting. It does not cause fluid in the lungs. Fluid in the lungs is much more likely to be a recurrence from the heart condition.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
My cat sadly died due to heart failure.
I'm just worried as I was working with a cat with giardia.
I understand heart disease would cause the fluid but could giardia hurt cause damage to her lungs or heart at all in any other way?
She had no signs of diarrhea or sickness.

I'm sorry about your loss. I can understand your concern. If I can help at all it would be to say that giardia NEVER causes heart or lung damage. This is not likely to have affected your deceased cat's heart or lungs. Once again I'm sorry for your loss :(

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Ok thank you.
So the fluid built up due to her heart?
The giardia couldn't travel to other parts of her body?

Hard to say that the fluid build up is because of the heart without being able to examine her and see her test results etc. BUT she is much more likely to have fluid on the lungs from a heart condition than from giardia. Giardia NEVER causes fluid in the chest - it just doesn't like to live in the lungs - it much prefers the intestinal tract.