Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with further qualifications in Animal Behaviour. Knowledgable on cat diseases, behaviour and health.
65104486

I gave my cat 2.5 mls of liquid ibuprofen for pain. Is that

I gave my cat 2.5 mls of liquid ibuprofen for pain. Is that a safe dose ? She immediately improved and started eating but 24 hours later appears unwell again. ( leg sprain pain)
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Minky 5 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Minky?
Customer: I can’t think of anything. Never been to the vet unwell

I am Dr Luke and I'm here to assist you today. I cannot currently take phone calls.

I’m sorry to hear about Minky. I know that can be a worry when they are in pain. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

What is the dosage of the ibuprofen on the bottle?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
100mg/5ml

Ok. Thanks.

Give me a minute calculate please.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I would rather message

Sure - let's message

Do you know approximately what your cat weighs please?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
About 6kg

Ok. Give me a couple of minutes.

Ok. At that dose Minky is likely to be ok. The most you may see is gastrointestinal signs such as vomiting and diarrhea.

In saying this, ibuprofen should not be used it cats - it is certainly not the best medication for a sore leg (even though it helped) and if you give further doses there is a high chance of side effects such as kidney failure. There are no home remedies or pain relief that should be used in cats - sorry. You need to take Minky to your vet to have a clinical examination and medication suitable for cats prescribed by them. I am not legally allowed to provide medications over the internet.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thank you

You're welcome - have a good evening.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Would it be possible to be set up for a pay as you go for each issue ? (£5 -10 a query rather than a monthly fee ). ?

I'm just the vet on the site - sorry I can't help you with that! You will need to email the 'contact us' section.