Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Please can you advise the best remedy for a cat with an

Please can you advise the best remedy for a cat with an upset stomach / diarrhoea?

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today.

But first, please allow me ten minutes or so to think things over and then type up your answer.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long has this been going on?

2. How old is your cat?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
My cat is 5 years old. It is an on off thing . I try to stick to the same diet but sometimes this doesn’t work. I have 6 cats. They all like eating different things. I am just querying whether there is something natural I can give for immediate relief ?

Got it thanks, ***** ***** your answer right now ...

Sorry to hear that your cat is unwell, hopefully, this is something minor, however, I have typed up an answer for you below. But please understand this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check her over without delay.

That said that there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea in the cat which some owners use while waiting for their vet's appointment, these often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a cat has eaten something he should not have, or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. I wouldn't advise any over the counter human anti-diarrhoea medications since most of them contain ingredients which can be toxic to cats.

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day she should have four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yoghurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your cat's gut. Live yoghurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your cat's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for adult cats.

Alternatively consider a probiotic such as Forti Flora which can be purchased at many pet/grain stores or online.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way then you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side.

But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your cat's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott